Made some uglies today

Beagle333

I got out the Lee 20# dipper pot and melted a batch of pure lead in it and went at it with the ladle. I didn't use a thermometer and just wanted to test out my new Lee mold for my Walker to make some conical bullets. I did successfully make some bullets, but the noses are wrinkled on some. The base bands are all full, so they would have shot fine in the big ol' BP pistol, except they were all .453 and it needs them to be .457 :cool:
So next time out, I'll use the Pro Melt and I can control the temp exactly, so I'll add just a little tin and cast them as cool as it'll let me and see if I can't get some size on them. I can always also do the "beagling" trick with the foil tape if I have to. I would prefer to have them at .457 as bare bullets, but I'll take .455 and I can powdercoat the last .002 if I have to.

Anyway, here's a pic of the uglies. :rolleyes:

E4F4A1E8-6841-459A-9E4B-2CF70344223A_zpsv1tvrr8y.jpg

Yes, they'll shoot fine, since the base bands are full. The problem is that they are too small for the Walker. But at .453 I can still size em to .452 and sling em through the .45 at cowboy speeds. (They are pure soft lead).
I don't need another cowboy mold though. I gotta figure out how to get it to make .457 bullets or it's outta here. ;)

I'm not sure how it would work in a Walker chamber, which isn't chamfered or flared. It is designed to cut a ring from a round ball and it might not be very forgiving of a paper patch.

Yeah that wouldnt work. Twould strip your paper right off resulting in jam in short order.

So what happens to the ring of lead that comes off?

Last edited:
Back