Made me a pistol rest

cw308

Turned out to be a nice project . I have two blown out rotator cuffs so shooting even with two hands is painful and now I can see how accurate my pistol and reloads are . Before my groups were the size of a softball , with the rest there the size of a quarter . Now I'm a pistol benchrest shooter . I like working with wood makes a nice project and if you want you can make it a Mona Lisa . How many shoot handgun with a rest , best way to tighten up your groups .

Chris

Russ
I don't know how to post a picture but I can tell you easier I'm sure . I used a 1x5 8" long piece of wood for the base , installed adjustable feet on the corners to adjust for distance . The front rest is also 1x5 but I cut a U shape the hight of the pistol held in position . At the bottom inside I installed a hinge to attach to base and allow to fold closed on the base . On the outer side of the rest at the bottom I attached a window latch to lock the rest in position . Across the raw edge at the top of the rest and into the U cutout I glued a piece of leather to protest the pistol . I shoot with the trigger guard pressed into the rest and the cover on the frame in the U cutout . I have a strip of leather on both sides of the trigger guard attached to the rest to help hold the pistol in position . The pistol should be able to stand in position on the rest . Making the rest was as much fun as shooting with it . Give it a try .

Chris

PICS ! You know the rules --
toetap05.gif

Cw308..I understand what you hav done, and think it’s a great idea... I’m going to try it. For some of my handguns...Sure beats the price of a Ransom rest,,,, and we can make them to fit any gun we wish.

OneFreeTexan
I'm making another for a shooting friend that has a flinching problem . I think I'm going to make myself another one this time out of oak , pick a nice stain and polyurethane . I'm shooting also with Crimson Trace Laser Grips so I drill a hole on the lower right side of the U cutout in line with the laser . Mine is set up for a 1911 . Everytime I make a rest I add little improvementsat , at this point the pistol can almost shoot on it's own and hit the target. Hope you enjoy making the rest as much as I did .

Chris

Cheapshot
Don't know how yet , when my kids or grandkids come over I'll have them show me . I know a picture would be nice , I did go through how I made it and what I used but for sure a picture is worth a thousand words . Hopefully the next time I'll send one.

Chris

Reread your description. I understand the vertical part that folds for storage, and locks in place. I am assuming then the butt of the gun just sits on the base. No clamps to secure it like a Ransom Rest. Not quite clear on the leather strips at the trigger guard. Are they then tied through the guard to hold the gun in place?

Cheapshot
Yes , the two vertical strips of leather are glued in place and position on both sides of trigger guard keeping pistol in place , I'm shooting with CT Laser Grips so I drilled a hole to the lower right for the laser , the leather strips position the pistol in the same position and adds in keeping the pistol steady . You can also add a pad at the base of the pistol , will be adding one on my next rest , I look at it like reloading , everything has to be close to exact as possible . Keeping the pistol in the same position is just as important when shooting for accuracy . Hope this helped .
PS: My rest will only work for the a specific handgun .

Chris

Last edited:
OK, so as I understand the leather strips aren't straps to hold the gun down, but rather thick, and wide guides to hold it in an upright position.

Cheapshot
Yes , about as thick as the trigger guard , the base of the handgrip flush with the magazine is on a angle because I have the slide and cutout parallel to the base . I'm trying a wedge under the grip will add in keeping the pistol ( Colt 1911 government model ) steady. Tomorrow's my range day , will be testing 45acp with those Federal cases with the small pistol primers using the same load .

Pretty happy with the groups . Testing small pistol primers in the 45 ACP FC brass , and the large pistol primers , both CCI . No difference with POI , using the rest and laser red Dot sights groups measured 1.5 from 10 to 30 yards , even at 7 yards the POI hardly changed . So from 7 to 30 yards the bullet hits where the red dot is , pretty happy with that .

cw308
I had no rotator cuff left. My shoulder replacement last September was not as bad as everyone said it would be. I have no pain now. It was months before I was allowed to shoot rifles. But I would do it again if needed.

Kenny
I'm glad things worked out , you must have had rough times to go through shoulder replacement , it's amazing what they can do now . I've been living with these shoulders for many years , as long as I do things shoulder level it's livable , above that I pay the price . I'm into benchrest shooting 308 caliber with no issues but shooting free hand pistol shooting it's painful , shooting with the rest is enjoyable . When it comes to surgery , I'm ball less , would take alot to go under the knife . Your a better man the me . Thanks for chiming in . Stay Well .

Chris

Back