Mad Elk Disease?

Bud Helms

Has anyone heard of Elk and Muley herds being thinned due to contracting mad cow disease? A coworker may have been pulling my chain today. ???

Sensop: Because of the problems in Europe--well publicized in links from World Net Daily--there is now more coverage here of "similar" problems.

What worries me about it is that the anti-meat and anti-hunting crowds will start in, and objective science may well go out the window...

Art

"There is no indication that chronic wasting disease is a threat to human health," said John Pape, an epidemiologist with the Colorado Department of Health.

Chronic wasting disease has never been linked to a human illness, not even one time. Good grief...

As for the elk population along the Wyoming-Colorado border, it is estimated that less than one per cent of animals is involved and hunters are no longer required to turn in samples.

KilgorII,

:p yourself ...:) I keep my view set at 2 days to do my part for bandwidth. If I don't get to each forum within that period, I do miss some threads. Thanks.

When I had my deer processed the guy at the shop asked if I wanted to keep the head, if I did'nt the state of Kansas had asked area processors to send them in to be checked for mad cow. Had plans for mine so I took it home.

I wouldn't be cavalier about chronic wasting disease in elk and deer. I posted a thread about this a few days ago, and the general response seemed to be "if you cook it long enough, it's good enough..." Not so. This disease is for real, you can't cook it out, and it is the same infective agent as that in BSE...

Back