Mad Dog Knives in Africa: Knife Review

While I was at Gunsite in February, Mad Dog stopped by with a new blade design casually hung on his belt. Upon examination, it was mostly reminiscent of the workhorse ATAK. In fact, it was essentially an ATAK stretched to 9 inches. In other words, I had to have it. When money would not pry it loose; when whining would not bring it closer; when bribery would not save the day, I fell back on my old standby: thievery. While my nephew kept the Dog busy with questions on knifemaking, I passed it around the circle, changed places, intercepted it mid-circuit and deftly secured it under my jacket.

Kevin finished his discussion, looked once around the room and and immediately settled on me as the object of his attention....well, at least I had "owned" it for a few minutes! Negotiation regarding it's safe return gained me two concessions:
1) That it's name is The Bayou Hunter
2) That I would be reserved the first production knife of this design.

Last week, a package arrived UPS overnight. Guess what it was? Nope, not the first production Bayou Hunter, but the actual proto that I'd handled....#001. A gift from Kevin in advance of my upcoming trip to Africa Off to Africa

Closer examination of the bayou Hunter shows it to be an ideal balance between utility knife and fighter....what I would term, a perfect field knife. Only an inch shorter than Kevin's personal fighter, the Panther, the BH has the same penchant for snap cuts. Lacking a false edge, it gives up a bit of speed to the pure fighter. However, this is more than compensated by it's increased durability in the field.

Being ungrateful, ungracious and not a bit shy, I pressed for yet more! (No kidding.) Kevin has honored my request for an additional low ride sheath with a custom 1.5" belt loop, seen as the lower sheath in this rather poorly lighted Image

The inscription on the back of the sheath insists that my choice of belts reflects on my lack of testosterone, is sure to destroy any chance of cordial relations with the locals and has contributed to Kevin's increased agility at jumping through last minute hoops!
wink.gif

That said, I believe I'm Ready For Africa. As for the Bayou Hunter, to coin a Cooper phrase, "I got mine!"

Thanks Mr. Dog.
Rich Lucibella

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited April 24, 2000).]

Rich - That is one sweet looking piece of blade work!

I'm still a little uncertain about ceramic blades (call me hidebound), but you're one fortunate guy.

Cliff

Very cool

Looking forward to real world performance reports.

------------------
“This is my rifle, there many like it but this one is mine …”

Nice knife Rich. But I believe I stick with the Busse Combat series of knives. I am not trying to downplay the quality of the Mad Dog series of knives because they are some of the highest quality fixed blades made. But compared to Busse Combat in price and quality, there is no comparison. Please do not kick me off the board. Sling Shot

slingshot,
I like walter Brend's knives myself.....although Ive never used one of these Maddogknives....hey Kevin how bout a sample to work out?.....lol...just kidding guy....fubsy.

Back