Mad Dog, High Desert or Blade-Tech IWB?

Tecolote

Mad Dog, High Desert or Blade-Tech IWB?

One of my buddies needs help choosing a Kydex holster for his Glock 23 new style frame. Which of these companies makes the most comfortable, concealable, secure, and best built IWB? Which tailors the holster to fit the old or new style frames? What's delivery time like?

Do any of these holsters have rivets that damage or mar the finish?

Thanks.

Another vote for Sidearmor. Their 15 degree IWB is the most comfortable I have found, even more comfortable than the Milt Sparks EX Companion I wore for years. Also, you will find no finer people to deal with than Sidearmor.

Already tried Sidearmor

Thanks, but Sidearmor IWB didn't work for him. The ride was too high, exposed mag release chafed, and the opening's design caused the pistol to hang when reholstering. That's why he's now seeking advice on other Kydex holsters. The ideal for him, and for me, would be something like a Lou Alessi Talon Plus in Kydex.

Mad Dog

Have one for my USPc .45, rides perfectly against my body, very snug belt loop, VERY THIN.(without being too thin)

Stay the hell away from the blade tech- cheesy snap loops which are too "loose", crappy tension adjusters.

I have experience with the Blade-Tech only. I have one for my Beretta 96 and one for my USPc45 (wearing it now). I'm very pleased with both.

Another vote for David Elderton's (KY-TAC) Braveheart IWB.
I've been a die-hard OWB user for CCW now for over ten years, but lately I've been carrying my Glock 30 (a fat little bugger) in the above, and it's amazingly comfortable and concealable.
I've tried both Mad Dog's Gun Glove and Blade Tech's belt holsters, and KY-TAC's stuff is better. I didn't notice if anybody posted a link to KY-TAC, but if not, I'll post one when I get to my computer at home.

Cendex?

Thanks for the help. I've seen pictures of all the holsters except Cendex. I can't even find them on the web. Anybod have a URL I can pass on to my buddy?

The BraveHeart looks real good, but the extended support looks like it might chafe. Does it?

I've read great things about High Desert holsters and I know that Gabe Suarez has had input into some of the designs. Anybody like them?

Be careful in dealing with Ky-Tac. I ordered a "Heat Pac" from Mr. Elderton in July 2000. My check cleared the bank within two weeks, but as of this date (1-21-00), I have not received my holster. I have e-mailed Mr. Elderton several times asking for a refund or a holster, and he has not replied.

I may just be unlucky, but if he would do it to me, he might do it to your!

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for all the help. From pictures the Cen-Dex looks good, but it doesn't have a sweat tab. Since my buddy is a bit round in the middle it seems like this would be a necessary option.

So far the High Desert IWB looks the best to him, and to me! Here's a pic from their site
iwbclip_pp1_bw.jpg
He wants one with belt loops, so disregard the hook pictured.

Linked from http://www.highdesertholsters.com/index.htm

His concern with this design, and others like it, are the rivets that hold the loop to the holster. Do these rivets come into contact with the pistol? Do they scratch or otherwise damage the pistol while presenting and reholstering? Also anyone dealt with High Desert? What's delivery time like?

We are Ky-Tac's largest stocking dealer, and perhaps we can answer some questions.

Tecolote, the Rok-Lok arm does not cause any discomfort. While we first thought the same thing, after 2+ years of hard use, we can unequivocally say the system is extremely comfortable.

JC, call Dave at 217 897 6776 and ask for a return call if you get an answering machine. You can also email him at kytac@aol.com. If you don’t hear from him within the week, drop us an email and we’ll try to contact him for you. We receive shipments on a monthly basis from Ky-Tac.

Incursion, the Braveheart P7M8 is a great piece of gear, but very rare. David hand forms each holster individually on actual guns, and if he doesn’t own the gun, it doesn’t get made. He had a customer with a P7M8 stop at his shop several months ago, and during the course of 2-3 days, he made up a few holsters. If Dave is all out, feel free to drop us a line.

HTH!

Have tried Blade-Tech, Mad Dog, side-armor & Ky-Tac. The BT and SA are just way to thick and both belt loop attachments are "Dinosaur" designs. Ky-Tac's "Braveheart" is sight-out-of-mind better as an IWB in terms of stability, comfort, retention and above all superb draw-speed. His "Rok-Lok" stabilizer arm has a very flexible rubber-like "universal joint" where it is connected to the trailing edge of the holster @ the tension screws. Once used to it you don't even know it's there. It really has to be worn/used to be appreciated. My order did take quite a while but Ky-Tac is made only by one person, David Elderton. Also specified non-standard colors, cuts, LH, etc. Believe me his gear is well worth the wait if you order direct. Mad Dogs Kydex can be ordered direct with the retention strength specified. If it's not the way you want it they will reform it. Frank Spezzano's Cen-Dex {formerly "High Desert"}is of the same quality as Mad Dog. Often not mentioned is that Ky-Tac, Cen-Dex & Mad Dog are all hand formed to a real "live" pistol not an aluminum slug, etc. All 3 will make their Kydex to fit 2nd or 3rd Generation Glocks. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the three makers.

Back