Mad Dog: Close scrapes with DG?

Glamdring

You mentioned having some close scrapes with DG due to marginal calibers. Was wondering if you might share the details?

Also wondering if you would care to describe- in addition to controlled feed in .416 or larger- what you would advise on a heavy African rifle. Perhaps you could also give us a ballpark price range on something like a .458 WinMag?

presented in my new, approved, monochromatic writing style:

Detail:
Attempted hunting Black Bear with .6" 357 Magnum revolver while still in "believe advertisers/magazine writers claims" mode.
Result:
Two dead hounds, three badly wounded hounds, soiled underwear, numerous cuts and scratches to self including lacerated cornea, claw marks on left leg, narrow escape due to black bear's broken foreleg induced inability to climb the tree I went up.
Bear eventually expired from blood loss, some TWENTY MINUTES later. Autopsy showed bear had three rounds through head, and two through heart and lungs, one through left humerus. ALL bullets were flat point (yes, they had a meplat) 158 grain soft point factory loads.

There were a couple of others, but that was arguably the worst.

Thanks for the brief, but exciting story, Mad Dog!

Methinks your "new, approved, monochromatic writing style" is a bit "spare", though. Maybe "Hemingway-severe".

I think all of us on TFL would enjoy a more lyrical recounting of that tale. Maybe a more Faulkner-esque style? That would help us have a more colorful vicarious experience....

Would you enjoy writing it that way?

Old Joke

This story reminds me of the old Alaskan Guide joke about filing the sights off your pistol before you try to shoot the bear. That way the doctors will have an easier time removing it from your body after the bear puts it somewhere the sun doesn't shine!

JPM

Re: My new writing style, or the lack of it, ATCMB...

I have recently been most stridently warned by the powers that be at TFL about committing such offenses as "slash and burn" writing tactics, making "Ad Hominem" (or Ad Ursine) attacks on the motives of ammunition manufacturers, and other such offenses.
My posting privilege was suspended while the agreement was hammered out.
I must admit that I was rather put out by the whole thing. I am afraid that this came through in my rather acerbically worded emails to the Admin who drew the black marble, and had to deal with my responses. I appreciate the forebearance shown me by the Administration here while they attempted to show me the error of my ways.

As such, I have agreed to keep my tongue/keyboard entirely in check while at TFL, providing only the most inoffensive, monochromatically informational text possible.

Although I enjoy (committing) "colorful" writing, I have no desire to further alienate the Administrators, Moderators or Staff here at TFL, regardless of the fun that others may have in living vicariously through my wordcraft. We are all friends, and I much prefer to remain that way, ammo manufacturers aside. :D

More colorful examples of my writing, anecdotes, and correspondance can be had at
http://www.tacticalforums.com

To answer the question about what I would recommend as a DG rifle and caliber is rather more complex than is easily addressable, other than to say I am building for myself a .505 Burns based on a 602 BRNO action.
I also love the pre-64 Winchester Classic model 70, and the Dakota 76 actions.
The triggers on the Dakotas and Wincheters are superb, as is their safety design. Their actions are silky smooth, and generally need very little work to bring them into top shape.

The square bridged BRNOS more than make up in affordability and strength what they lack in aesthetic refinement. They also tend to be extraordinarily accurate right out of the box. Although their actions are a bit rough, they are servicable as is, and can be tuned nicely.
If they have a single weakness that really needs addressing, it is the strength of their stocks. They tend to break in the heavy Magnums.

A three position Winchester type safety can be added to the Brno 602 and 550 actions, replacing the problematic "reverse polish" safety that they are provided with.
(forward is "safe", to the rear is the "fire" position, opposite of the western standard)
Still, it is an effective safety, and if one is a "one rifle" sort of guy, then training with that type of rifle will inculcate the correct manipulation of the standard safety device.
For those with American designed rifles in their arsenal, I recommend changing out the reverse BRNO safety to the three position type so as to avoid manual of arms mistakes .

How much recoil one can soak up has a lot to do with it, as does magazine capacity and distance to be shot over.
Finally, overall weight of the weapon platform must be considered.

I prefer rounds that have no belt on the cartridge for best feeding reliability, and calibers in excess of .400 for best whackage potential. That means caliber times bullet weight times velocity.
Energy delivered to the target.
The newfangled .505 Burns developped by Dane Burns answers all of these details quite nicely. I wish I had thought of it.
There has also been much recent success with the flat shooting but belted .416 Rem Mag.
The .375 H&H is an ideal plains game rifle, as are the .338 Win Mag and the .358 Norma mag.

A battery consisting of two calibers, one heavy (>.400) and one slightly less heavy (.338-375), should provide adequate versatility for hunting any large game at reasonable hunting distances, on any continent.
I strongly believe that all dangerous game ammo should be hand loaded, so as to reduce the (remote?) possibility of high production manufactured ammo somehow failing at the worst possible moment due to inadequate QA.

As to cost, that is largely determined by the type of action I start with. What sort of stock, sights and fittings the customer requires; and the barrel maker chosen.
Anyone interested in having a custom rifle made is welcome to contact me via private email.
maddog@maddogknives.net

If you want to have some experimental fun with a no frills big bore, go out and get one of the CZ/BRNO 550 rifles in .375 H&H or .416 Rigby. The rifle will cost well under $700.00, ready to shoot. Just be ready to repair/replace the stock when it cracks.

Kevin-
Fact is, we never air our dirty linen in public. In your case, we'll allow the exception to stand.

Fact IS, you were simply asked to honor the Policies that you agreed to in joining TFL. No more, no less. If you'd prefer to take this to a public Forum, kindly take it elsewhere.

Fact IS, this ends right here.
Rich Lucibella

Back