MAB Model D

Doc Hoy

Bought this pistol at a Gunshow coupla weeks ago.

Been trying to find original grips for it unsuccessfully. So I made some of my own.

This pistol had some hideous after market target grips (Another member suggested they were install to permit importation to the US. His comment makes sense.

Anyway, I replaced the outrageous rear sight with an original from Numrich.

Could not find OEM grips even at places which said they had them.

So I gave up and made some from a hunk of walnut I have laying around.

I left them a little dull.....

Just rubbed with linseed oil.

Wanted them to look a little rustic to match the pistol.

Not a bad little gun.
Your source is correct, the "outrageous" (sort of adjustable) rear sight and thumbrest grips were added to a surplus French pistol to gain enough BATF points to allow import.

If, after all that whittling, you still want French style grips, Vintage lists repros:
http://www.vintagegungrips.net/mab.html
also NC Ordnance
http://www.gungrip.com/items_671__MAB grips.html

Or were those the places you said claimed to have them but could not deliver?

Yes...Understand....

But no one seems to have the originals.

Even when I called the guys who say they are in stack, they are out of stock.

personally I'd be happy with the grips you made... but understand wanting to have the originals ( or reproductions of such ) ... but I'd probably keep the walnut ones on it for shooting...

MWM

Sorry, I missed your post.

I have this thing for grips lately. Can't seem to have it easy. Bought a RIA 1911 and took the rosewood (rosewood?!) grips off for some checkered bakelite grips. Much better in the hand. Much more confident grip on discharge.

Traded for a Ballester Molina 1911 at a gun show. It had the original grips in poor condition. Tried to find originals unsuccessfully and finally made some... BUT.... I made them too nice and now it don't look right. If the screw holes matched I swap the RIA plastic grips for the walnut grips I made for the BM.

Now this MAB.

Oh Well. Its fun.

Back