m96 expeditionary rifle

Their web site claims that it is out this month, but I have yet to see one. It looks quite promising if what they say is true.

This is an e-mail I recieved from robarm yesterday:

Q:To whom it may concern,
Your M96 is pretty exciting, particularly the carbine, will it
actually be available this month? For how much is it supposed to retail?
Will it be configured as pictured, ie with pistol grip etc? Great idea.

A: We're getting real close. We have had a delay on a couple parts which we'll
receive in April. Everything else is on time and looks fantastic.

We'll have a carbine kit available later this year. Yes, the gun looks just
like the internet pictures, maybe a bit better.

Thanks,

AJR

Can you give me the link to the site??? Please!

------------------
Phantom Menace May 21st! Star Wars is back.

A local shop is now taking deposits for the M96 and they estimate the retail price to be in the neighborhood of $1500-$1900. This is a bit too steep for my blood, particularly for a weapon not tested in battle.

I e-mailed Robarm regarding the price, and will post the reply ASAP.

I know this is not the place, but shane, The Phantom Menace is arriving May 19th. They pushed up the release date.

I believe the M96 is based on the Stoner rifle which was carried by the Seals in 'Nam. A novel feature of the rifle was the ability to change its configuration (belt, box fed among other things). Purportedly, the Seals liked it.

4V50 Gary, you would be correct. They (Team Guys) liked and carried the Stoner 63 in the light machinegun configuration with a 150(?) round belt carried underneath the weapon in a box (similar to the M249 SAW). I believe the Marines also acquired a few Stoner 63's.

The Stoner could be configured as everything from a box magazine fed carbine to a belt fed LMG and just about anything in between.

So will the new m96 also have a belt fed option? and how does the same lower receiver accept both ak and ar mags?

The story I hear is that the magazine well (and barrel) can be interchanged with that of the 7.62 version. Apparently there's some trouble with the 7.62 version, so it, as well as the conversion, will be available when it's working well.

The robarm web page has a cool MPEG video that shows the .223 version tearing off 30 rounds in about 5 seconds, semi-auto. The muzzle doesn't seem to rise at all.

Got a chance to examine this gun at Knob Creek this weekend. It looked very good. Quick change barrel feature was impressive, as was the gun's light weight. It handles very nicely. They had one example on the firing line and it appeared to be doing OK. This gun appears to have some possibilities. A friend has ordered two of them; we'll see what transpires when he takes delivery.

Supposedly, the 7.62 version has been delayed due to technical difficulties. The 5.56 appears to be solid.

Yes, the gun's factory list is about $1400. A little shopping around (mainly for a friend with an FFL) will get you one for about $1250.

I received this e-mail from robarm yesterday 13Apr99:

The M96 is a very expensive rifle to design and produce. Our suggested
retail price is $1,499.95. Though many people in the industry have told us
it should be $2,000. Believe me, it's worth it. It has extremely low
recoil and is very accurate.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks,

Alex J. Robinson

I had an opportunity to handle the M96 this weekend at the LA Fairgrounds gun show. It was very nice; maybe I'll have to reconsider not purchasing one. When they say, "Quick change barrel," they mean it! The display owner was able to remove the barrel in less than 5 seconds. It has an FAL-ish gas system and an AK/FAL (the two I'm most familiar with) like ejector as opposed to the plunger found on the AR series. It's solid, light, and handles well. Maybe the military should give it a good look.

Back