M96/38

Calfed

A few months ago I got a Swedish Mauser at an auction, thinking it was an M96. It turned out to be an M96/38. I was so disappointed that I threw it in the closet and never shot it. Yesterday, I went to the range to test fire some FN-49's and Hakim's for an upcoming match. I decided to take the 96/38 with me and shoot a few rounds. I only had time for a few rounds, so I shot three careful shots @ 100 yards with Prvi Partizan 6.5 x 55 139 gr SP's, with this result.

9638mauser008-1.jpg

The group measures about .7 inches, center-to-center with my calipers. Might try this one at the next military silhouette match.

9638mauser001-1.jpg

9638mauser004-1.jpg

9638mauser007-1.jpg

9638mauser003-1.jpg

All matching, except the lower barrel band, which has a different number and the bayo lug, which is un-numbered.

Last edited:
Now you're getting your mind right.
Nothing wrong with a 96/38.
I have one, along with 3 M96. I like the little carbine, interesting to see the development of this beautiful rifle, shortening of the barrel etc.

The Swedish Mauser is the most beautiful modern rifle ever made, and one of the most accurate. I just love 'em.

Awesome

Good for you! I have an M96 that pleasantly surprised me recently at the range! My sixteen year old LOVES to shoot it!
:cool:

Why in the world did you get mad about having a 96/38? I have one and it's one of my favorite rifles. Sinfully accurate and mild recoil to boot...:cool:

Well, I wasn't mad about receiving an M38, more disappointed. I had thought I was getting a long rifle.

I bought it at one of those on-line estate sales, so was unable to actually handle the rifle before purchase.

I went back and looked at the pictures and could see that it indeed was a short rifle. I think it was the angle that the picture was shot at that made it a little difficult to tell that it was not a full length M96.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=2812&aid=16988&lid=4463425

Swedish Mausers both M38s and M96s first introduced me to the 6.5 x 55. I liked them so much I have a Tikka T3 in 6.5 x 55 that is my favorite hunting rifle. I wish I had a 94 carbine to round out the collection. ;)

I think my disappointment was based on the assumption, obviously erroneous, that the short rifle would not be accurate.

It is hard to believe that an M96 (or any other 95 year old iron sighted military rifle) would group much better.

Every M96, M96/38 or M38 that I've had the opportunity to shoot would group under an inch with the right ammunition.

I haven't been able to determine any significant difference in accuracy between the longer 96 and the shorter rifles.

By the way, assuming your stock disc is the one that actually was meant for your rifle and the rifle hasn't been shot a lot since the disc was placed, it's got a tight bore (right at 6.50mm) and the barrel shows no internal wear.
It is hard to believe that an M96 (or any other 95 year old iron sighted military rifle) would group much better.
I've heard folks claim that the Swiss straight pull rifles are very accurate, but like you, I think it will be hard to beat the Swedish Mausers for consistent accuracy.

I haven't been able to determine any significant difference in accuracy between the longer 96 and the shorter rifles.

Well, I spoke with a knowledgeable friend and asked him whether the M96 was more accurate than the shorter M38 and he replied "if so, only because the muzzle of the M96 is 5 inches closer to the target".

That certainly tracks with my admittedly limited experience.

You might find a 96 that was made in 1920 and converted to the 96/38 configuration later, but the true model 38s weren't made until 1938 or so. ;)

That certainly tracks with my admittedly limited experience.

We've all been there, Calfed. Look at it this way. You acquired a beauty of a rifle. And, as John mentioned, looks like you have one in fantastic condition. Swedes are becoming more and more uncommon to find at your local web store.

The bore has extremely strong rifling and is mirror bright. My guess is that it hasn't been shot much since receiving a new barrel.

Over the weekend, my son and I shot in a military silhouette match using "gas guns" (semi autos). This is a match held every quarter and supplements the monthly Military Silhouette Matches. Most people shoot bolt actions at the monthly matches.

The match involves 40 rounds shot in 10 round relays at Chicken (200 meters), Pig (300 meters), Turkey (385 meters) and Ram (500 meters).

After the gas gun match, My son and I shot some of the still standing silhouettes including some of the Rams at 500 meters with the M38 using both Prvi 139 gr SP and Swedish surplus. The M38 was extremely accurate and consistent and we were able to knock down the remaining silhouettes with ease.

Back