M77 300WM value estimate?

Ike Clanton

I have a Ruger MKII all weather 300 win mag id like to sell to a friend possibly. I just don’t know where to begin with a price. It’s in great condition with a hogue overmold full bedded stock, fully floated barrel, warne maxim rings, Redfield Revolution 4x12, and has a professional trigger job done.

An All Weather 30-06 Hawkeye with the factory synthetic stock sold at the gunshop where I do most of my business for $490 OTD early this fall. It had a Nikon 3-9X40 scope on it which is comparable in quality to the Redfield. It sat on the shelf all summer.

For me the Hogue stock would deduct at least $100, and 300 WM's are harder to sell. But if you're friend wants it somewhere between $400-$500 would be a fair price where I live. Closer to $400 if the older MK-II with the shiny metal. Closer to $500 if the newer Hawkeye MK-II

You have a 4-12X scope BTW. No such thing as a 4X12

"Ruger MKII all weather 300 win mag"
Good!

"great condition with a hogue overmold full bedded stock"
Bad.
Most people don't like these stocks. Many 'All-Weather' buyers are specifically after the "boat paddle" stocks. As such, the Hogue will usually subtract from base value.

"fully floated barrel"
Indifferent. It's a Ruger. Their barrels are too unpredictable. The average buyer will not care.

"warne maxim rings, Redfield Revolution 4x12"
Scopes are considered bonuses by 99% of buyers. Never include a scope unless the buyer is specifically paying for it. Rings fall into that category as well - except with Rugers, since Ruger rings are special and a factory accessory that shipped with every rifle. With Rugers, the rings are expected to be there. Absence of such subtracts from the rifle's value. Warne Maxima rings are not helping here. Most people do not like split rings.
The rings are a net-negative, with the scope possibly pushing things to a draw.

"and has a professional trigger job done."
Buyer's preference. Some might pay a couple bucks more. Most don't care.

I'd be at $450 or less on it, if it's in truly great condition. ...With one caveat: Year made matters to some buyers (like me).

If it was made between '91 and '93, I'm dropping value by $150, in order to create a safety buffer for possible barrel replacement. For '94/'95, I might still knock $75+ off it.

If your friend has seen it shoot, and is satisfied, then none of the year/barrel stuff matters. But, to me it would. '91 and '92 used both crappy contract barrels (mostly Wilson) and Ruger's new in-house hammer-forged barrels (but they were still learning the process and machinery, and fine-tuning the equipment). '93 was all hammer-forged, but quality was still sub-par. Things didn't really level out until about '96.

In this case: Add ~$75-100 for the scope, if it is specifically part of the deal.

It’s a 1994 production so right in the middle of it all. I bore scoped it and it looks good and also shoots 1 inch groups at 100 pretty easy. Not sure if that’s a bad ruger barrel or not but it’s worked for me. Thanks for all the insight.

If it had the original stock, i'd be willing to do $450 without optics. IF i were looking for a 300Win Mag, which i'm not.
The Hogue overmolded stocks are heavy.
Free floating a Ruger barrel is risky. They come from the factory with a pressure point in the forestock. Removing said pressure point voids any accuracy issue warrenty.

I’m surprised people want the factory stock. Mine grouped like a shotgun before the hogue and free floating. Maybe I got lucky.

"...a professional trigger job..." While that's a good thing, it does nothing for the value. Neither does a floated barrel. The synthetic stock, regardless of the brand, detracts form the value due to the increased felt recoil. The barrel length will matter too. 24" is standard.
Anyway, there's a scoped, Mag-Na ported, wood stocked, M77 on Gunbroker at $390. Another without a scope at $599. Plus several more in that range with and without scopes. And then it gets stupid with dealers who think they're going to get rich selling used hunting rifles.
"...and free floating..." That guarantees nothing. Some rifles like it. Some do not. The only way to find out if a particular rifle does or not is to try it. Putting a pressure point back in isn't a big deal if it does not.

Back