M60 2.13" vs 3"

fotojake

Would there be that much of a difference in recoil with the same load between a M60 2.13" vs the 3" model? Considering one for OWB concealed carry. I'd practice with 38 spcl, but carry 357 rounds.

I had a M642, but that was just plain old no fun to go out to the range with. I recently got a model 10-5 4" to use as a shooter, but need something smaller for CC that also may be a bit more fun to practice with than that M642 was.

Does anybody here CC a model 10 4" revolver?

Thanks.

Recoil should be roughly the same. I've owned and shot side by side, both a 3" and a 5" barreled Model 60 Smith. And I couldn't tell the difference with that 2" difference, let alone the less than 1" you are concerned with.

I'd opt for the 3" model and with adjustable sights, allowing a greater choice of bullet weights and the ability to zero the gun to your liking. I've also got a pair of 1-7/8" Smiths (both 637's), and find that they are no more concealable than the 3" barreled M60. It's the grip length that makes a difference, rather than the barrel length within reason.

With any J-frame Smith, good grips make a huge difference with magnum loads. For my carry purposes, I choose a good 125 gr JHP round. In both of my guns, Remington's 125 gr JHP load in the green box (not a high dollar defensive load by any means), shoots very accurately...less than 2.5" at 25 yds from rest, has manageable recoil for 2-3 cylinders, but is definitely not a 200 rounds at a single session at the range type of ammunition. Follow up shots with that ammunition require a hard grip on the gun, and concentration as the front sight comes down out of recoil.

For the most part, I like to carry with +P .38 Special loads at 125 - 140 gr's. JHP's. But many times,here on the farm, opt for Skeeter Skelton's old favorite, a good LSWC (home cast Lyman 358156GC) backed by 13.5 gr of 2400...1100 fps from my 4" M19, and a chrono'd 1097 from my 3" M60. Recoil with the latter is robust, but manageable...I put down a good 180 lb. buck with it last year, wounded earlier by a friend, and had complete penetration though the neck just below the head at 20 yds. And I was carrying the 3" M60 on that day.

BTW, I do, on occasion, carry a 4" Model 19 with full size grips...it's a bulge on the hip for sure, but I'm more confident of a first shot hit with that gun than practically any other that I own. It's a good choice during the colder months here in KY.

HTH's ... you've got a great choice there...Smith makes a great snub nose in all barrel lengths, but the 3" is my hands down favorite... they're easy to carry and accurate to use. Rod

Last edited:
The recoil is about the same, though a 3" heavy barrel will make a noticeable difference. The main advantage of the longer barrel is the longer sight radius making it easier to aim.

Jim

I can't tell the difference in recoil between 2" or 3" mod. 36. Favor the 3". For my coat pocket or ankle holster I carry a Bodyguard with standard pressure Hornady 158 gr jacketed hollow points. About twenty years a go I put down a pit bull with it using three shots of a similar handload. Animal control officers have told me they can take a lot more to stop them. I like the Bodyguard because of its light weight and shrouded hammer. Forget I'm carrying.

There should be little difference in felt recoil. As you’ve already discovered the J frame revolvers, generally, are not lots of fun for extended range time. On the other hand, they fill their intended role very well, so it’s a tradeoff.

At one time I carried a 4” model 19 OWB and with the correct holster they are fine for discrete carry. So your model 10 should not be a problem when used for discrete carry.

I'm sorta leaning towards the 2.13" barrel because of the four holsters I already have for the 642. Tho, I really shouldn't let holsters that I own influence my choice! I do have a Hume JIT for J frames that would probably work with the 3" model.

Thanks for all the input and advice.

IWB carry, go with the short barrel. OWB carry, gotta suggest the 3". You'll appreciate the extra length sight plan and the recoil will be a bit less to boot.

I'd opt for the 3" model and with adjustable sights, allowing a greater choice of bullet weights and the ability to zero the gun to your liking.

Same here. And as rodfac also noted, practically speaking, the length of the grip is more relevant than the length of the barrel when concealing a handgun for carry purpose.

"...practice with 38 spcl, but carry 357 rounds..." Don't do that. You need to practice with the ammo you intend using for CCW. There will be a significant difference in recoil and POI.
It's 2 1/8", not 2.13". Difference in weight between a 2.125" and a 3" is 1.41 ounces and less than an inch in OAL. Not enough to make much difference in the felt recoil.
Lots of people carry 4" revolvers.

3" and longer is for OWB...that's what you want. Never mind holsters - if open ended, the excess barrel will just stick out, until you find something ideal. Sell what you don't use.

Back