M6 Scout or Marlin Papoose?

Sherman

Inactive
Just wanted some general input on these two as possible backpack rifles. On one hand I know the Papoose has more girth, but I like the 7 rnd clips. And on the other I like the compactness and lighter weight of the M6. So I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

Sherman

If you have no need for a .410 shotgun then go for the papoose and not get something you don't need. If you do have the need for a .410 then your only option is for the M6. I have 3 M6's and really like them.
I think the choice really comes down to what you want it for?

NJW

NJW, thanks for the reply.
This list details the scenario in which I would actually need either one of these rifles:
I'm in the middle of nowhere
I need an additional tool to help collect/kill food
I have my gear
I have a small caliber rifle in my ruck

I know this may be an unlikely situation
but, my question is, which one would you rather have with you? Neither?
I also know many of you think the same way I do and I hate all of those "I'm on the moon and I need a gun, which one do I get" questions. But, I'd appreciate if you guys could indulge me on this one.
Thanks for the input.

Sherman

Sherman,
I just can't see carrying 2 rifles.
Have you considered the Savage 24 series.
Then you can have a 22lr/22mag and a 20 gauge shotgun.
I've never seen much value in the .410
Just my opinion ;)
Doc

Doc, thanks for the input. Actually, I'm trying to decide on just one rifle. And I'm considering these two because of their 'break-down' ability. Are you saying that the .410 is too underpowered to be useful? Thanks again.

Sherman

Doc4570,
The Savage 24's are nice (I am a sucker for anything in two caliber's) but since he was interested something specifically for backpacking, I don't think these would apply here due to their size and weight.
I don't know how much experience you have with the .410 but most people are always putting it down when they rellly don't have much/any experience with it. I happen to like the .410 and use it for both hunting and clay birds. The .410 shoots its paylod at the same speeds that the 12 & 20 do, it just shoots less payload which means you have to be more precise with it. I can easily limit on dove and qail with it and regularly break 21-23 on the skeet feild with it.

Sherman,
I am biased for the M6 since I have 3 of them. For your purpose I think that the M6 would be great. The only thing the papoose gives you is slightly quicker (you can be pretty fast with the M6) follow up shots. Other than that you don't have the shot shell ability of the M6. I can also tell you (being a backpacker also) that the M6, when broken down is a very slim package. If you want a little more ooomph, then get the .22 Hornet /.410 M6 and then you have a more powerful centerfire .22. I have both but would reccomend the .22 Lr since ammo is cheaper and you can carry alot becasue of its size.

NJW in AZ

Back