M6 Scout hinge pin

kyew

Inactive
Looking for a hinge pin for the M6 Scout US pilot survival rifle. I've checked all the usual suspects - Numrich, Brownell's, Jack First. Searched the net with no results, except to learn that losing this part is a common thing with these rifles.

Anyone have any other suggestions where I might find one?

Ummm, I lost mine too, and haven't even got my mouse-finger off its ass to do half of what you did. You sir are a true patriot!

Ummm, mind if I monitor the thread?:D

Yeah, no problem, Arizona. I'm not expecting to find one though. Apparently they're easily lost. I'm guessing I'll have to make one.

I did see an interesting article during my search though. A guy got a bolt just long enough and big enough to fit, two washers and a wing nut. That sounds like an idea if you're not too concerned with originality. Sadly, that won't work with me... I've got a customer to appease.

Yeah, peggysue, I'm hoping I won't have to make one. The time put into something like that, no one wants to pay for. :(

Yeah, not exactly the best design. Just got the new one in yesterday, and the detent ball that's supposed to hold the pin in is so small it's no wonder they fall out. They really should think about redesigning at least that piece.

They made pins that were retained with "C-clips" but they were harder to remove.

The ones with the detent are the "quick take-down" version

If there is enough protrusion, you might be able to modify it to accept some sort of pin to prevent it backing out

If it were mine, I might consider that. Sadly, I don't own one; I was just finding the part for a customer.

I did see some examples of modifications online though. One, a guy took a bolt that just barely protruded from the other side of the receiver, and added a couple washers and a wing nut. That was the best mod I'd seen. I think I'd do that myself if I owned one.

Back