M57 Tokarev and mag dissassembly/assembly

ks_wayward_son

Hey everybody. I got my Tok in and it looks like its in pretty good shape. As expected, I received it with 2 lbs. of cosmo additionally. A few questions:

1. Looking on Surplus Rifle's website, they have the TT33 dis/assembly instructions. Is the M57 the exact same or are there a few little differences I should know about? Is the fabricated safety anything to worry about?

2. The extra mag that I received is pretty much solid golden-brown. I couldn't find anywhere on the net about how to dissasemble the mag. Would it be okay to just give it a nice long steam bath and soak it for a while in some kind of solvent...say mineral spirits?

Thanks.

I don't know about those magazines, but the original Tokarev magazines have a little crossways slot at the front of the floorplate. You insert a screwdriver into that slot and push in the little tab, then slide the floor plate forward and off. Be careful to keep control of the spring, or you can get hurt when it is released.

As to the safety, different importers had them done differently; the results range from quite good and reliable to "just enough" to get by. If you have a good one, not to worry. If yours is, well, of lesser quality, I don't know what to say, as I don't think you can legally remove it.

Jim

Jim...just like you said about the mag. On the Yugo, there is a very small rectangular-like tab to push in and then you slide the bottom of...of course, taking care to keep a thumb down as the mag spring tension is released. Not a big deal at all.

Haven't check, it may engage the hammer group, but I do know that it blocks the trigger bar, might also block the what ever, that engages the trigger bar in the hammer group

Def better than the rommy button

Back