M48 and Mosins

ks_wayward_son

Hey everyone. Stoked about getting my C&R just a week or so back, so I am now looking at my very first purchases. First there was an ad that Sarco Inc. put out about M48's that are listed in "good" condition for 145.00; plus I can get a matching bolt for 15.00 extra and various "goodies" (sling, sight cover, mag pouches, etc.) for 20.00 more. Any one dealt with Sarco before? Does this sound like a pretty decent deal?

Also, I am looking into getting a standard Mosin 91/30, but like the looks of the hex receiver. SOG is offering them for 79.00, but AIM also has them for 89.00. Both offer hand pick for 10.00 extra. As cheap as the Mosins are, I dont really know if the 10.00 would be worth it. I was pretty happy with a previous CZ 82 purchase with SOG before. I might just go with them. Thoughts?

Congratulations on your C&R, welcome to the group. Hand pick for a few bucks is generally worth it. Best is to call and discuss what you want with the vendor, I think they treat you more than just another order.

Xerox off a bunch of copies of your unsigned FFL03, stash the original, and sign one copy in blue ink, then scan it to your PC drive. Makes ordering a bit faster if you can just send the license via email.

Do get matching bolts and accessories when available, especially bayonets.

Here's the deal

Mosin's can be as addicting as heroin.

If you get a M91/30, you can find them in hex or round receivers. Laminated or plain stocks, and most come with an accessory kit. The M38 is a shortened M91/30 with no bayonet, the M44 has an attached bayonet. You will find that the M44 shoots better with the bayonet out and the M91/30 did not have a bayonet scabbard as the thing was meant to be attached and not removed. (Though it could be).

I would suggest checking with AIM and SOG, and if you have a C&R license, sending both a copy first so they can send the gun straight to you. The extra $10.00 is not really needed. The guns I have gotten, I didn't use it and I have really been satisfied.

I would also suggest looking around as you can find these things for a lot less than the $145 you were quoted and they are in pretty good shape, too. BTW, that coating that they will have on the stocks is VARNISH, not stain. It WILL chip off. The guns are cheap since they were plentiful and of no real historical importance, so they can be shot and shot often.

Have fun! Also, check out surplusrifleforum.com for more info on the Mosins.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

ks_wayward_son, if you want to get a peek at the rifle first, Gander Mountain has them on sale for $99. I would imagine, that with shipping and hand pick on your order, you would be near that price anyway.
What part of Kansas do you live? I work in Wichita and live in Marion Co.

I bought my Son a Mossin, and I just cant put it down, I love the feel of the Rifle, and it is the most natural pointing gun I have ever held.
Im gonna get another one that will be just for me.
I really think the Mossin would be a great hunting rifle, for deer sized game.
I like the long barreled Mossin, but am also interested in the Carbine.

+1 what DrLaw said! 1891, Dragoons, 91-30, 38, 44, 91-59, PU snipers, Laminated, hardwood, hex, round, Russian, Hungarian, Romaninan, Pollish, Check, Chinese, US ( Remington and Westinghouse). Tula arsenal, Ishevsk arsenal, Sestroyetsk arsenal. Then there is the prized shooters, the Finnish 39.
Some of these are very rare, but there are plenty of reasonably priced MNs for sale, and surplus ammo is still readily available and relatively inexpensive.
They grow like mushrooms in your gun safe.:D
Welcome to the C&R addiction!

Id go for a yugo m24/47. JGsales has em', plenty on gunbroker, Samco global too. they are very accurate, a m48 should be good to tho, im pretty sure my 24/47 was rebarreld with a m48 barrel
heres a 5 shot group I shot at 60 yds. Iron sights and Rom. surplus:
mausergroup.jpg

Just so no one thinks mp25ds4's group was a fluke, I finally benched my Yugo yesterday at 50yds with Romanian surplus. 4 into 1" with one dud. I recommend padding between shoulder and rifle is you plan on more than a coulple of groups.

MP25ds4

Nice Group, I was wondering where was your Hold @ 50 Yards?
My 24 47 Groups nicely, but shoots high at that range.

TX hunter, I was aiming at the center of the bullseye, however I did not have my glasses. I shot another group today (I remembered my glasses) and It grouped about 3" high and to the right of the bullseye. It is a mystery to me how they centered on target, maybe something to do with me not having glasses?

That was really nice shooting.

Why can't a place with nice Yugos etc such as Samco have a store in the Memphis area?
"Invasion of the Body Snatchers" can't hold a candle to "Invasion of the Milsurp Rifle Mind-Snatchers":eek:.
Resistance is futile.

DSC01186.jpg

100 yards, free hand on a bench, not "benched," but I was sitting on a bench. It was with a 1943 Mosin 91/30 with a cleaned as hell barrel with strong rifling and a floated barrel.

Mosins can be accurate, too.

That top right one? That's from the paper to the right. That day I took 6 targets, it took about 3 or 4 to figure out how to aim at such small targets. The five shot group in the middle is the group. I was hoping to do 1.5MOA or less, but, I got close to 2. With a proper bench, I'll probably sub MOA this thing.

Back