m3000

.38Catt

Do you recommend a 26" or a 28" for sporting clays? Does it really make a difference? I' m leaning towards the 26" version.

Thanks in advance,

.33Catt

I prefer 30" for a semi and 32 for an O/U - short barrels swing too fast, and as a result, stop too fast. Clay shooting is about using a smooth steady swing to approach your target.

I prefer a 30" as well....I want something well balanced, but the longer sight plane over a 26" or 28" just feels better to me in an Over Under at around 8 to 8.5 lbs.... and longer helps smooth out my swing a little ( short and light gets to be "whippy"...)..and not smooth...

even an 8lb gun in 26" is just way too short for my liking....
I used to shoot 28" guns...but I just like the 30" more...

Its a subtle difference.../ but it isn't what feels right to me - its what feels right to you ...( shoot some 26", 28" and some 30" guns ...and note their respective weight ) and see how they feel to you.

a 7 or 7.5 lb gun in 30" doesn't feel right to me either...I need a little more weight...

Most 32" barreled guns...get up around 10 lbs ....and that's a little more weight than I like on a general purpose gun for Skeet or Sporting Clays or on live birds.... 32" to me, is more of a Trap gun.

You didn't ask....but the M 3000 Stoeger semi-auto is a light gun ...about 7.5 lbs....and in my opinion, its not a gun that is going to hold up to even moderate usage on clay targets...

Before you invest in anything made by Stoeger....do some checking...and I think you'll find they have some significant quality issues...( Stoeger is a subsidiary of Benelli - and both are owned by Beretta...but they're a far cry from any gun carrying the Benelli or Beretta name in terms of quality )...in my view.

All semi-auto's have a longer receiver than an O/U ....so in terms of overall length a semi-auto with a 28" barrel is about the same overall length of a
30" Over Under..../ but in a really light gun, like the M-3000 Stoeger, a 30" barrel would be much better in my view - but they don't offer it.

At least look at some of the offerings from Benelli - they are light guns as well....and some models of the Benelli like the Super Sport models are available in 30" at least in a 12ga / or consider some of the gas gun offerings from Beretta ...or even the Browning Silver series.../ they're just way better guns in my view.

Back