M26 MASS Sighting

Model12Win

I was recently at a military installation, I will not name the exact one for OPSEC reasons, and the gate guards were using M26 MASS shotguns. They were using the standalone configuration with short 7" barrel and surprisingly the short 3-round box magazines. Other guards had M4 carbines.

I have seen these guards in the past with Mossberg 500s and frankly I would choose one of those over an M26, especially if I had to use 3 round mags. Ballistically an 18.5" M500 would be offering more power (especially against vehicle cover) over the short barrel M26, and I wonder why I only see these guys using the 3 shot mags on their M26s? I know 5 round mags are available.

Thoughts?

Shotguns are low pressure, they don't lose much velocity until you are under 10 inches of barrel length.
Velchart-1.jpg

In a "from where I'm standing to where the driver of a car is" situation, I don't think it would matter much. Any further out and the guards with M4's can handle things.

I see. I wonder what ammunition they have? Needless to say it is not appropriate to ask them!

I do know the military uses or has used Winchester Super-X buckshot, the same stuff sold at Wal-Mart, and a Winchester "military" buckshot load that is identical to the Super-X stuff but with a green hull and blackened brass. Wonder if they have slugs or even less lethal ammo on board?

I need to find an MP at one of the bars in town and ask. :D

Back