M24 iron sights

ADIDAS69

Picked up an M24 and it has a front and rear mount for iron sights. The front bit has a crescent cut for precision indexing and the rear is a plate with threaded holes attached to the left rear of the action. I cannot immediately locate a retailer for the iron sight listed in the manual. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Army used he Redfield Palma or Olympic rear sight and a globe sight on front. The sight uses inserts and most use a post sight.

I have a couple of these but I like the peep type front sight.

This is the rear sight I'm talking about. There are two holes on the left side of the receiver the sight base is mounted with. Then the sight fastened to this base.

The front sight is similar, but this isn't what the Army uses.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

Here is another picture on a different rifle showing the correct front sight.

DSCN0101.JPG

I don't believe anyone makes these any more. I got a set in the 70s used. And about 5-7 years ago the CMP was selling them and I got another set.

Keep an eye on the CMP E-Store, they keep showing up.

On second thought I just did a search on e-bay, they seem to have them. The sights fit both bases but make sure you get the base for the 700, I don't know if they are the same or not for the Model 70. I'll measure the holes and edit this post later.

T. O'Heir: not home made, off the line M24 SWS and is supposed to use the Redfeild Palma BUIS. Apparently they don't exist but for eBay. I'd use Phoenix Precision but theirs are all clamp to the barrel style. The dove tail on the muzzle is designed so the irons could be deployed quickly and precisely. RPA makes a front sight with a dovetail style mount but I can't find a retailer and RPA doesn't sell directly.

Kraigwy: I would be cool with some eBay sights but none available at the moment and I'm not strictly wedded to the rifle remaining an authentic M24. But would like the iron sight option and the quicker deployment than a barrel clamp design.

ADIDAS69

Check out the CMP Forums (www.odcmp.com). They have buy - sale sections.

I'm pretty sure you can find some at a reasonable price. The front site blocks are still available. I got a couple from Creedmoor sports. It screws to the rifle barrel and the front sight slides on and off. I've gotten a couple so I can use the sights on different rifles.

As a side note: (war story).

I use to run the NG Marksmanship Unit. Over the years I was there I expanding the program, getting equipment that to all the units instead of just the state teams.

In doing this I ordered 10 of the H&R model 12s (5200 civilian model) for each BN and separate companies. A couple hundred if I remember right, plus had a bunch of Win Model 52s.

And the Redfield sights to go with them. When I retired, the idiot who took my place decided he didn't want to be responsible for "all this crap" as he called it.

So he turned it in. Guns are accountable. Sights are expendable and not accountable. So he turned the guns in, and the non-accountable stuff he trashed. It was easier to throw away then to do the paper work to turn it in.

Including a large box of Redfield sights and tons of other stuff. Had I know that was going to happen I'd had shipped all the stuff to the CMP (then DCM).

Or had one hell of a garage sale.

Back