m1's cheap from our government ?

hoosierboy

I was told that one can get an M1 rifle from the army for a subsidized price. Apparently, there was and still is a program to keep the citizenry well prepared, shooting wise. The program was intended and I guess still is. Does anyone know of this and how do I "enroll"?

I believe what you are refering to is the civilian markmanship program. I've seen things about it in the NRA'S magazines for $400 if i'm not mistaken.hopes this helps. sj

The CMP is selling "Service Grade" M1 Garands for $400. Sales of "Select Grade" (higher quality bore) and "Collector Grade" (particularly valuable examples) have been suspended for probably a couple years. CMP's supply of the M1C/D and the M1903A3 are temporarily exhausted. Further information at http://www.odcmp.com/

While we're on the subject, we need to spread the word about the Clinton regime destroying surplus weapons (including 1903's and very rare, collectible, .45s made by the Singer sewing machine company) instead of auctioning them or allowing them to go to the CMP.

Just another example of the contempt that loser has for the military, gun owners and our heritage.

------------------
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

Ah yes the CMP. Of course the M1's they sell are not worth what they charge in money. Their real worth is in their story. Did my grandfather carry this one? Was it at Iwo Jima? How many times did it salute the flag before I was born?

I was in the last company in the last division, in Navy Bootcamp, that drilled with rifles. My rifle was an M-1 Garand made by International Harvester. All of our M-1's were for drill only and had been spiked. I had the pleasure in May of 1990 at our graduation to sound the last Sixteen Count Manual at Arms on my bugle. I have it on VHS and watch it from time to time.

I hope if you get one from CMP you give it the respect it deserves. It could have been my grandpa's.

Dutch

***NEW NEWS***

I'm sorry for all of you interested in this program, but, I just visited the odcmp page and sale of the "select grade" and "collector grade" has stopped. Some time in July they received to many requests and won't except any till the year 2002. They are still selling the "service grade" M1's but not any others. This really sucks, I wanted one!!
Jonathan

Back