M1D marking ken is stumped and tired

Wildalaska

OK, just took in an M1D...it is a 3,8XX, XXX , correct parts, rear sight and all SA, correct drawing number and ordnance wheel on upper part of SA 10/52 barrel, never refinished as we can see, M84 scope....10/52 MRT cheekpiece, cone flashider marked 1952...no import marks...and the barrel receiver is not a fake...

But the stock..
Has no cartouche.
Has the rifle serial number stamped in barrel channel
Has an "A" stamped on pistol grip where you usually see a "P"

Help me...what do I have here

WildineedbrainsAlaska ™

M1D?

3.8 million is late 44 or early 45 DOB. The 10-52 barrel is the date the barrel was made and most likely installed on the rifle when it was rebuilt for the Korean Conflict.
Does the stock show any sign that it was glass bedded?
Loosing the cartouche in normal during refinishing.
Numbering the stock would assure that it was kept with the rifle, that's why I asked about bedding.
Sloppy stamping or sanded off during refinishing?

Not bedded, GI original stock. Has been sanded, there appears to be a "U" in a circle stamped on the stock under the "A"

WildstumpedAlaska TM

My thought is a replacement stock. The "P" (Prooved) was stamped on the rifle when it was made, it will not appear on a replacement stock, even one put on in the service.

Jim

Has been sanded, there appears to be a "U" in a circle stamped on the stock under the "A"

I have never gotten interested in bragging or making money off the assorted markings on army surplus guns, and cannot tell you what all that stuff means, but the above does not sound good.

Sorry Ken my dates are wrong. 3.8 million is mid to late 1945 for the receiver's manufacture date. And original parts will have following drawing numbers; bolt D28287-19SA, operating rod D35382-9SA, and three parts of the trigger, housing D28290-18SA, hammer C4600-9SA and the safety SA-11.
I'm sticking to it being a Korean War era rebuild. SA-11-52 Would be Nov 1952.
Almost all M1s are refurbed at the arsenals. The M84 scope is from that era too.All the above information is from Scott Duff's books. I hope that helps.
P5

Maybe a PM to memeber eclancy would get you the info you need. As I recall, he is a Garand Guru.Worth a shot anyways.

And/or, maybe send an E-mail to The Garand Collectors Association. Based on all the details and research in thier magazine that I get for being a member, odds are goo they will be able to give you a correct answer. Thier email address is: info@thegca.org

Wild started this thread a month ago so this rifle is probably long sold. If he had any new info I'm sure he would have brought this thread back from the dead on his own.

Back