M1A Value??? Alternatives???

JimmyBCool

Hello all,

I am new to shooting (but hooked). I am enjoying my Colt .45s and AR15 a lot. So, I thought I would try out another rifle I bought years ago and had never fired. On doing a very little research (Fulton Arms web page) I am dismayed to find they think very little of the particular rifle I own based on manufacturer.

The rifle in question is a Fed Ord M1A .308 (preban) NIB never fired.

What I'm looking for are opinions on this rifle. Is it the piece of junk Fulton Arms believes? If so, how does one go about selling a rifle (not here - I won't sell a low quality weapon to those on this BBS). And what is the market value?

Assuming this rifle is inferior quality and I sell it, what .308 caliber rifles do you all recommend?

Thanks or any opinions.

James

Jimmy B. I'll give you ten bucks for it if we can find a FFL who will do the transfer!
Good Shooting, Hank

I worked on a Fed Ord M1 about two years ago. My instructor pointed out that the cast receiver had an inherent flaw (also found on many Springfield Armory guns too) in the bridge of the receiver.

The bridge is the part which cams the firing pin back when the gun isn't locked up. As a safety feature, it prevents the pin from slipping forward with sufficient energy and causing the gun to discharge when it isn't fully locked up. On the Fed Ord and on many Springfield Armory (not the US Govt Armory which made the M1 Garand) there was extra metal on the bridge.

While the Fed Ord worked, since the extra metal on the bridge was not removed, it could cause work hardening on the tail of the firing pin, inducing failure and subsequently a slam fire. While there are no documented incidences of this happening yet, the potential is there. BTW, Tom Reese of Springfield knows of this but I don't think they've done anything about it yet.

If you want a M14 type action, Smith Enterprise is about the best.

I had not heard about that problem with the M1A. The opposite can occur with cut-and-weld M1s. If things aren't done right (and they rarely are), the firing pin can go forward without the bolt being locked. It takes a lot of things to go wring, but...

One more reason to avoid c&w receivers.

JimmyBCool,

Before you turn your back on that Fed Ord, there is one thing you can do: Inspect it.

Bring in a M1 Garand Receiver (or ask the shop to disassemble one) and compare it to the disassembled Fed Ord M1A receiver. The bridge is best seen if you look at it from the bottom (with the muzzle end away from you). On the M1 Garand, you'll notice a nice clean track which goes up cleanly at about 2 o'clock. On the poorly casted receivers, that's where the problem lays. It won't be a nice and clean where that track goes 2 o'clock. It'll look like there extra lumps in there and that the stuff that will cause wear on the firing pin tail. If that Fed Ord is clean like a M1 Garand, then check to ensure that the holes drilled for the rear sight are in alignment. Some were known to be canted off a few degrees, causing the sight to be off (and adjustments to compenstate for longer range shooting unorthodox at best). Naturally, you will want to check headspace (don't close on field guage). Check the barrel out too. The fellow whose gun I worked on had a lump in his barrel (when it was new!). If it got none of the problems I'm alerting you to, it may be a must buy since the price is, as you described, good.

Happy Shooting.

Gary,

I confess I don't understand the issues you describe. But, I do have an excellent gunsmith who has done some nice work on Colt 1911s and S&W revolvers. He is something of a legend in the Phoenix area.

Since I am such a good customer, I bet he'd look at it and give me some idea of if it is safe to fire or not. I appreciate your posts (funny your second post didn't show up until I started to reply to your first. You must be posting real time as I do).

I'm thinking in either case, I might be happier with a second AR15 (interchangeable parts, mags, ammo, cheaper ammo). I think I'll probably attend the next big gun show here in Phoenix and sell it.

Hank,

I'll pass on that offer, or accept one with two more zeros behind it :)

James

I bought a new Fed Ord M-14 SA rifles back in the fall of 1987, for $580. At that time Springfield was supposed to be having a problem with their op rods flexing and coming unhooked from the bolt.
I put this rifle in a glass bedded Super Match stock. The mechanics of it are dead stock except for National Match front blade and rear aperture. It is capable of 1 to 1 1/2 minute accuracy with good ammo. I've probably fired 4,000-5,000 rounds out of it. I've shot it at Camp Perry with good results. It has been very reliable so far. I had never heard of these problems before. I will have a smith check it out, but I won't sell it. It shoots too good.

Back