M1A SOCOM Muzzle device removal?

Blue Duck

I have wanted a Springfield M1A SOCOM off and on, but have always been uneasy about getting one because of the loud report, due to the muzzle device.

I have shot 308 carbines, plain barrel, and not found them to be all that loud or even that bad on recoil, so I don't care about the increased recoil, as the rifle is no lightweight, anyway, but I hate the loud report of about any rifle with a compensator.

Has anyone had the device removed from a SOCOM or maybe covered up. Yes, I know, just wear ear protection, but as a hunting, ranch rifle, sometimes there isn't time to put ear protection on, when needing to get off a fast shot at a fleeting opportunity. Anyone? Suggestions?

Thank you,

I have thought about just machining a solid sleeve and sodering it on over the holes. On second thought that might mess the sight up.

Since I don't have one to look at, I couldn't tell if the steel was thick enough to support threading, either. If it were, perhaps it could accommodate a suppressor or an adapter for one, which would help with recoil.

But then it wouldn't be a short rifle anymore.

Back