M1A Scout type scope mount

bentley

Inactive
Am interested in information on the forward (barrel?) scope mount for M1A's. Does it affect the accuracy? Would you consider putting one on your match grade M1A so it could double as a scoped rifle? Is it preferable to a receiver mount?

Any info much appreciated.

Jordan

They get a bit oily from bolt ops, but are excellent for quick snap shooting with a low power LER scope.

See the Scout Rifle Archives.

------------------
Train Like You Fight: Second Place is Not an Option.

Be careful with the scope fore your M1A as they are very hard on scopes. I don't think you will find many ler scopes that will hold up to them. I was making bull pup m14s a few years ago and the scope was mounted to the barrel and I tore up every scope in the shop testing them. I finally come to a Swarovski and It held up through the tests It is the negative G forces that do it. The forward movement and sudden stopping. of the op rod.

Thanks very much folks.

Mr. McMillan, May I ask to which Swarovski scope you refer? Was it not an ler scope?

Thanks again for your Kind help,
Jordan

May I ask the M1A shooters what they consider to be a stout enough scope to mount on the receiver? TIA for any feedback.

Brookfield Precision which is fabricated of steel. A good substitute would be Smith Enterprise which is a clone of the Brookfield. Once you have it mounted, don't take it off. If I'm not mistaken, the Brookfield was the one the Marines toyed with for their Designated Marksman Rifle.

I'd stay away from Springfield Inc. 2 point mount aluminum. Aluminum walks.

By the way, the U.S. Govt. Leatherwood mount is not compatible with Springfield Inc.'s 2 point aluminum mount.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back