M1A reliability? Which company is best?

B Shipley

I am interested in getting an M1A as soon as the funds are available. I would like a SA super match. How do match tuned rifles stack up against service grade M1As for reliability? How much better is the accuracy of a match grade?

I've heard that match rifles produce poor groups with non-match ammo than service rifles, or at least w/ bullets less than 168 grs. Is this correct?

Which company makes a better gun SA or Fulton? Is there someone better out there than these two companies?

Last question (promise) is the rear lug of a SA super match useful with respect to accuracy over two lug versions, and, if so, $300 more?

Thanks.

I suppose everybody is sick of me saying it, but I believe that Smith Enterprises currently makes the best mil-spec receiver. Do a search on previous M1A threads and you'll find out about a problem which has not (to my knowledge) been rectified by Springfield Inc.

Before we go further, a match gun should not be compared to a service gun for reliability. They are two different guns. Service guns are meant to absorb abuse and still squirt out bullets. What they sacrifice in accuracy and close tolerances they gain in reliability. The match gun is a prima donna. It wants to be fed a certain diet. Give it the wrong ammo, and it may not shoot for you. It wants to be snugged down a certain way with its sling. It demands high maintenance and may require to be rebedded after 1.5k rounds. It generally doesn't want to be field stripped for routine cleaning (though some shooters believe otherwise; and there is some merit to their beliefs). If you don't do all these things, your match gun won't behave like you'd want it to. So, decide what you want to do first and then go from there.

Receivers set aside, the barrel is the key point to accuracy in a rifle. If Fulton goes with Krieger or Obermeyer, I'd go Fulton.

Concerning lugs, the more the lugs, the better. It gives the receiver bearing surface on the stock and aids towards the longevity of the bedding. Is it worth the extra $300, figure on what you're planning to do with it.

Personally, I'd go with Smith Enterprises, provided it is built by Ron Smith and he uses a Krieger or Obermeyer barrel (tough to get either). If I went Fulton, I'd still specify that it be built on a Smith Enterprise receiver (double lugged, of course).

There are a lot of Springfield Inc. fans out there and my buddy is one of them. His gun shoots as well (good surplus barrel) as my Smith (also surplus). Let's hear it from you Springfield fans.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

4V50,

So, there is a flaw in the bridge of the receiver. I don't remember, but did you say it can be removed, or is one stuck w/ it?

I want a compromise gun that can handle most ammo reliably, but still be something like 1.5 moa accurate. What would this involve?

I am thinking about getting a Smith receiver w/ a rear lug, glass bedded, and putting on a medium wt. barrel w/ looser than match headspacing, all in a walnut stock. I know that synthetic would be best as a stock, but I like wood. Is this sound? I want a gun that can take some abuse if it has to, such as what might remotely occur on 1/1/00, but will probably spend its life on a bench. This will be my first rifle, so I don't want something that is too finicky. I don't however want box stock. I figure that this gun can be upgraded at some future time to match spec by addition of a barrel.

Do the gas pistons, etc. in the internals affect the reliability/ accuracy of the gun and is there a diff. btwn service and match guns? Again, I am going for a compromise gun and want to eliminate the biggest factor in reliability problems, which I believe would be chamber dimensions.

I haven't looked for Smith on the web, but are their receivers forged, or cast like most of the others seem to be?

The flaw in the bridge can be removed, but requires a skilled machinist. I don't know of anyone who has a setup to do it though.

Regarding gas pistons, that's another important factor in the accuracy of the M14/M1A. The USMC Armorers use to match the piston to the rifle. The rifle would be shot and if the group wasn't satisfactory (given that it's been bedded and all other things tricked out), then another piston would be tried out. Brookfield makes a good piston and I'm considering buying one myself.

There are other things like the operating rod guide. Match guns generally use a heavy cylindrical one which allows for more even spring compression without spring binding. Conceptually it's very much like the full length recoil guide rod spring on the 1911 as opposed to the standard 1911 spring & plunger combination. Heck, you can make your own if you don't want to spend $25 (I did).

Unitized Gas Cylinders are a must on a match gun and you might as well start out with one. It you do it as an afterthought, it'll cost you about $75-99 from Brownells. I've done mine, but boy, it's a lot of work and I'd rather spend the ducats next time. Unitized is great because there's less wobble on that part. This leads to more consistent harmonics when the gun is fired.

Addressing your interest in a wood stock, you're right that synthetic is the way to go; but wood sure is prettier (mine is wood). The wood, unless impregnated with resins and what not, will be affected by humidity and its swelling would change your point of impact. I wouldn't worry about it too much and you can always upgrade. It'll just cost you a bit more.

Chamber dimensions. You're on the mark about chambers and switching barrels. A GI chamber will take any garbage you feed it. The tradeoff is that it won't shoot like a prima donna though. You can change barrels later if you want to make it a match gun. Myself, I'd like to get another receiver to go with that barrel, and that synthetic stock, and....

Finally, Smith investment casts their receiver (just like Springfield). The difference is that Springfield doesn't have their own casting foundry and subcontracts that out. So, one year it could come from one state, and the three years from now from another. Smith use to offer a machined receiver, but I don't know if they do anymore. Email Ron & ask.

------------------

I e-mailed Smith, but not about how they make their receivers. They are currently out and backlogged a year, which is logical when they only make ~40/ year. Any second choices? I might still get a Smith, but I'm not very interested in waiting years for my gun.

Contact Brownells. They may have a Smith in stock. No comment on Armscorp (haven't seen one).

------------------

Back