M1A questions/guesstions, [More of the same]

dog3

Sorry all, and yes, I have read the
archives on these issues.

However, there doesn't seem to be a clear
concensus.

So, for those good and kind folks out there that don't mind sharing their wisdom with a dummy, I'll begin.

I hope to actually straighten out my tax disaster within the next few months and with that done, I am going to want to spend some (more) money on my M1A.

I think I am going to break down and get a Kreiger barrel. Folks ask me if I will get a stainless barrel, why would I want a stainless barrel? None of my M60 barrels were stainless, none of the issued M16s I carried were stainless, In fact, I have never owned or operated a stainless weapon and don't see any particular benefit. I know stainless steel simply Stains Less, rather than it being impervious to corrosion, therefore it requires maintenence and care though considerably less, but maintaining and caring for my arms is a pleasure not a burden.

So, Stainless Barrels are popular, this I know, I don't know why.

The good folks at Shepard Scopes promise me their scope will perform on the M1A. I've used their scopes before and I like 'em.
Comments?

Is there a fast-change scope mount for the M1A that is repeatable? Cost is not really a big concern, as I have no intention of ever selling of otherwise getting rid of this weapon and hope that it hands down well. I have none of my own, but I do have nephews and nieces.

Thanx in advance as always.

Ya'll are the best

stainless will machine, and hold a closer tolerance than a chrome-moly barrel will. But on the other hand it will shoot out faster.
YeHaa! My 1st post!!!

I have an M1A with a Krieger SS with 1/10 twist which is perfect for the 168 gr. Sierra boat-tails I shoot.

I break in all of my barrels the same tedious way, and the SS seems to clean up a little easier compared to the carbon steel barrels. Other than that, I don't really see any other advantages except for corrosion resistence. But then, all my weapons are carefully cared for and my skin will rust before my guns will.

Both Krieger and Douglas make fine match barrels. Expect to get at least 6500 rounds through either if you shoot competitively, 10000 if you can live with 1.5 MOA.

Good Luck!

Noban

For best accuracy, it's better to keep the scope on the rifle. That's what McBride did during WW I (it also pissed off the armourer when he turned it in). The best mount I know of is made by Brookfield Precision. You may want to consider QD mounts like Leupold.

Thanx for the replies gentlemen.

So, the concensus is that SS is actually
a tighter, more precise barrel than the
chrome moly. This suprises me. Do I have this
right?

Like you Norban, I don't really see corrosion
resistance as a deciding criteria. I take decent care of my firearms.

Quicker cleaning is a real plus, fewer passes, less chance of damage.

So, SS it will be. Thanks again.

---------------

I used to have an HK-91 with the HK scope mount. That mount, once zeroed could come and go off of the rifle and stay as true as I was able to tell.

Of course, for best accuracy -as 4V50 Gary states with good authority- leaving the scope on the rifle is best.

However, some folks can afford a really nice scope, a really nice pair of binoculars, a really nice spotting scope and on and on and on. I am getting ready to purchase a pretty nice set of optics I think in the Shepard, and I really only want to carry one piece of glass. Would be nice if I could use it as a
hand telescope without bringing the rifle in to play.

I was also dreaming that I could get a good
wide field variable, as well as a fixed high power scope and interchange them without re-zeroing.

I'm pretty sure I could have done this with my HK.

Is this a pipe dream for the M1A?

thanx in advance.

(and no, I don't have ANY problem with the
iron sights ;) )

Back