M1A NT

steinermd

I have been looking at and think i am ready to purchase a NY compliant non-threaded M1A. It is a loaded version but being non-threaded it has no flash suppressor and the front sight is moved back to about the 18" mark on the 22" barrel.

I question if the change in sight picture due to the front sight being 4" rearward is a big deal or if once i sight it in it will be something that is not even noticed?

I live in NY and the other option for a M1A is the dealer has to smith the rifle replacing the flash hinder with an dummy and weld it on which supposedly can be reversed by a smith if i can escape NY.

M1A NT p2.jpg

Since the sight spacing has changed, the rear sight markings won't be exactly "on". Won't make any difference sighting in the gun. If you use the sight markings, you'll have to learn how much the difference in how much each click actually moves bullet strike, but once learned, it will be a constant.

I grew up in New York, in the foothills of the Adirondacks. Left in 75. Have been back a couple times to visit, and too many times to bury family members. Love the country. Can't stand the people, and what they have done to what was once a fine place to live.

(and gun laws are only part of it)

The front sight on my M1A sits about 3" aft of the front of the flash suppressor. For what it is worth I doubt the positioning of the front sight 4" back from the muzzle will matter much. Actually I would like to see an eleven degree crown on the muzzle and a mock flash suppressor eliminated.

As to living in NY or NYC? I was NYC born and raised, matter of fact the Borough of Brooklyn. Once I left I never had reason to return but my 45 year career did drag me all over the world. Lived in many countries where firearms, of any type, were prohibited. I did what I needed to do to put beanies and weenies on a table and raise a family. I earned a good buck and today enjoy a nice retirement. Point is for many it is easy to say they would refuse to live in NY, when you find a job in NY it beats urinating in gutters without a job. NYC also has much to offer as to theater, dining and the arts.

Ron

Ron, my theater is the outdoors, my dining is wild game and I believe this forum is called The ART of the rifle. LOL, sorry, couldn't help myself. Your point is noted.

thanks for all the info

i am feeling good about grabbing it

i like the fact that it is a loaded version which is a step up from some others i was looking at with the mock hinder on them

also if I truly don't like the smith at the store where I am looking said he can thread the barrel and install the dummy for about $175

I too like upstate NY beautiful country, good hunting, and some of the state parks are great, but the politics and people have made me want to escape as soon as i can pry my wife away from her family and career. LOL

You'll have to post up some pics when you get a chance. Here's my M1A Scout.
10023623575_1b058f3edc.jpg

This is a PD trade in bought from J&G Sales a couple years back for $1200. I like the length on the Scout. It is easier to get in and out of my pickup with, compared to the full length standard, I previously owned.

GI Stocks stocks, sling, and hand guard are from:
http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/

I replaced the muzzle brake with a commercial Springfield flash hider. The bayonet lug on the GI Flash Hider prevents disassembly of the gas system.

I also have a complete GI trigger group in this gun (H&R IIRC). Buddy of mine put me on to one at a good price.

I recommend you go watch Tony Ben's M1A videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyben3/videos
They cover the complete disassembly of the rifle, cleaning, and maintaining.

Speaking of the M1A Scout, its sight radius is about 4" less than the M1A Loaded. I guess it isn't much of a problem, or does Springfield use a different front sight?

Drobs, nice Scout! Nice price! I paid about $300 more for a new one last year. I still have the factory muzzle brake but am thinking of getting the flash hider minus bayonet lug.

I'm still enjoying iron sights. Eventually may look into optics.

Regarding front sight height.

"From M14 Rifle History and Development Fifth Edition:

Springfield Armory M1A Scout and Bush rifles are fitted with slightly different front sights to compensate for the shorter barrel. The Scout / Bush front sight is marked NM 062 on the side. Its front sight blade is 0.062 " wide. The blade height itself appears no different than a standard USGI sight, but its base is 4 millimeters taller. It measures 0.697 " to 0.705 " from the bottom of the front sight base to the top of the rear side of the blade. This in comparison to the USGI design front sight which has a nominal height of 0.567 " from the base to the top of the rear side of the blade. This is significant as each 0.008 " is equivalent to one click of elevation on the rear sight knob for a 22 " barrel. The wrong front sight for either barrel will make a huge difference on the setting of the rear sight aperture for the sight zero."

Above is taken from here: http://m14forum.com/accuracy/107630-sai-bush-front-sight.html

I couldn't tell you what my front sight height is. Using a 100yd zero - my rear sight is 23 clicks up from bottomed out. Which to me seems like a lot...
That adjustment allows me to hit steel targets out to 400yds (using iron sights). Over that and I have to start making elevations adjustments.

The bayonet lug on the GI Flash Hider prevents disassembly of the gas system.

Yes, because the GI flash suppressor was made to go on a 22" barrel, not the shorter barrel of the Scout.

And, to be technical, it doesn't prevent disassembly of the gas system, it just makes it more complex because you would have to remove the GI flash suppressor first.

Not a task I would recommend on a regular basis.

The shorter barrel makes for a shorter handier rifle, no question about that. But, there is no free lunch. For a lot of people, its worth it. For me, its not. If I want an "in and out of the truck cab" rifle, I used to use a Remington carbine. Now days, I don't even use that, heavy caliber handgun suffices for me.

Everyone has different wants, and needs, that's why they make so many different things! :D

I'm a fellow upstate New Yorker (I've lived in Albany, Rochester, and Syracuse) and it really is a beautiful state. I've threatened to leave a few times due to the restrictive laws, but I'm still here haha.

I've been eyeing a very similar gun. If you've got the free coin, I'd do it. Looks like a really fun gun!

I grew up in the Lake George area, and further north, Albany Syracuse and Rochester aren't "upstate" to people from that area. ;)

Beautiful country, pity what the people running it have been allowed to do to life there...(especially over the last half century)

As a child, from my parents house, I could get to three different gunshops (and many many stores that sold guns & ammo) on my bicycle. Last time I visited, (13 years ago) I had to drive 80 miles to find a gunshop...

sad...:(

Jackstraw3
I'm a fellow upstate New Yorker (I've lived in Albany, Rochester, and Syracuse) and it really is a beautiful state. I've threatened to leave a few times due to the restrictive laws, but I'm still here haha.

I've been eyeing a very similar gun. If you've got the free coin, I'd do it. Looks like a really fun gun!
Upstate NY is beautiful and my first hunting was done upstate NY. Matter od fact I was given my first rifle upstate NY. The Catskill and Adirondack ranges are beautiful.

I just spent this past weekend in NYC and on LI visiting old friends. While I do miss being able to carry and I sanitize the truck before we head for NY and NYC I have never felt unsafe while back home. Had a great extended weekend and enjoyed food to die for. :)

Ron

It's not uncommon to relocate the front sight to the gas lock, Smith Enterprise makes different GLFS mounts that are specific to barrel length.
These mounts are designed for suppressed rifle and they position the front sight at the correct height for the barrel length, only the sight radius is changed.

Your picture shows a GLFS-D-22, it's identical to what's on the rifle pictured 2nd from the left.

5-14s.JPG

Back