M1A - Need comments

BC

Inactive
I have seen threads here and there on the M1A, and am interested in purchasing one in the near future. Need input from you all regarding personal experience with this weapon.

Some questions:
How much does a new one usually go for?
How much does the ammo cost?
How difficult is it to maintain?

Thanks to all in advance.

BC
NRA Life

The cheapest I was ever able to get for 308 win, was about 17 cents per rd, which is pretty good. That was through Cascade Ammo (which has a bad rep on this board) and they have not had that offer in a while. It was venezuelan army issue, 1000rds, in sealed "combat carry bags". Good stuff.

ammoman.com has some British Army surplus stuff, about 22 cents per rd(depending on how much you buy) including shipping. They will be my next supplier if I can't find a better deal.

by the way, I love my M1A. I bought it used for a $1000, with very little wear. It has a med. national match grade barrel, fiberglass stock, and came with a 20 rd box. Everyone who shoots it loves it. And maintenance is easy, I think. I do not have a whole lot of experience cleaning rifles, but this one seems pretty good. It comes apart easily, and there aren't very many pieces. If you take the bolt apart, you have to be careful of small parts that are spring loaded, though. From what I understand, replacement parts are easy to get, and there are many competitions with this rifle. All in all, the favorite firearm I own :) Good Luck!

------------------
Connecticut is the "Constitution" State
http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/beefclub

[This message has been edited by othermarc (edited August 27, 1999).]

Back