M1A/M14 CA Legal

• Thread starter Thread starter m3bullet
  • Start date Start date
M

m3bullet

I finally decided to purchase a Springfield Armory Loaded M1A, #MA9822. Being a Kalifornia resident, I must order the "muzzle brake" version to comply with the latest edict, I think it's #MA9822CA. Wholesalers to my local CA firearms dealer have no stock and claim Springfield has not begun shipping the CA legal version. Has anyone been able to purchase one of these elsewhere in CA?

Regards,

Dennis Neff

I saw one in a store here in San Antonio.

Halffast

------------------
"I say that big talk is worth doodly-squat." Granny Hawkins from the Outlaw Josey Wales

Try B&B Guns in Westminster (714)892-8881, they have a Hollywood store, too, don't know the #. Also try RNJ Guns (310)834-0999 or Gold Coast Trading (714)379-6818. Not worth the $1500+ price IMHO, hope you stocked up on mags.

m3bullet - I've also been checking out the M1A situation here in CA.

It appears that while the SA muzzle brake is BATF approved as a non-flash suppressor, the CA DOJ has yet to issue any such approval. And until they do...

Does this make sense? Not a whit. Is it, in fact, one large steaming pile of oompah? Absolutely.

I think I'll call SA and see what they have to say. In the meantime, I plan to get a nice M1 Garand. :)

Cliff

Hi Cliff-

my dealer had told me about the DOJ problem with what SA was claiming to be approved 2 months ago. But now he says that they are OK, and he has them in stock. So I am assuming that DOJ has opined.

If you call SA, can you let us know what you find out? Thanks in advance.

Saw several M1As for sale at the Anaheim gunshow today. One guy had a sign on standard M1As, saying that he would install the muzzle break prior to pick up. The price was about $1400.

I spoke with Lisa at Springfield Armory yesterday about the muzzle break question.

She told me that the CA DOJ has given them a verbal approval, but that SA has received nothing in writing, yet. When I asked her how soon they expected to get written approval, her guess was about a month.

She also told me that SA is so confident that there won't be a problem, that they have already started to manufacture and ship CA legal M1A's to distributors out here.

I hope this is helpful and of interest to any fellow CA'ers who are looking to purchase an M1A.

Cliff

------------------
"Giving money and power to government is like
giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
-P.J. O'Rourke

Cliff, thanks for the info, most helpful with my decision making. I figured something was still holding up shipments as my local dealer has contacted all his major wholesalers without success, even though SA is promoting "CA legal".

Just a few hours ago, I stopped at a small gun shop in Oceanside on my return from San Diego, and found a new "Loaded", stainless steel barrel, walnut stock, M1A with the muzzle brake conversion kit installed. This shop has had this rifle in stock since 10/99. I bought it immediately for $1550. I had talked to B&B Sales in Westminster late last week on recommendation from earlier posts, and they want $1729 ($1699 cash) for the same rifle, once they get it in stock. So, maybe the price I just received was fair to good, eh?

This M1A includes the loaded coupon which is good for $30 off on 20-round magazines ($59 versus $89). I just emailed SA to see if they are honoring a similar discount on the 10-round mags for those of us unfortunate enough to live in CA. I'll post their response.

At the last minute rush in CA (12-31-99), B&B was sold out of EVERYTHING with a detach mag. So were most of the others.

Gold Coast had a couple M1-A's, but the prices were through the roof, as usual with this J.O.

Flag Guns in La Habra, CA had a few (NM, loaded, SS, blu) and the prices were about what they were a year ago. No gouging. Guess who got my business?

m3bullet - Congrats on your new rifle! $1550 sounds like a very decent price. The M1A you bought is the EXACT same model I intend to purchase.

I'll be interested to read what SA has to say about the mags. Several months ago I bought 2
NIW USGI 20 rd. mags (BRW - S1) through CDNN Investments. $50.00 each.

I also picked up some 15 rd. M1 Carbine mags.

I remember looking at my wife (also a shooter) and saying "Ya know, I'm buying magazines for rifles that I don't even own yet!"

*sigh*

Apologies for the digression and the mini-rant. :(

Cliff

Cliff,

Lot of foresight buying those mags. Smart. You're not alone, I know a number of people around these parts that have mags for rifles they don't own (yet).

Cliff, you're in SoCAL right?

I forgot to mention in my previous post. I've got a small dealer in So. Orange County that will sell the CA9822 for 10% over his cost once SA starts shipping again, which will actually beat the price I got by approximately $25-30.

Funny about you guys mentioning having mags for guns you don't have yet... I though I was the only one... I must have blown at least $1K in the last quarter 99, buying mags for all the guns I thought I would own someday.

I just hope I did not forget a real important one...

Take care- mckysdad

M3bullet,

I'm in S. Orange County. Could you post the dealer's name / location or E-mail me? Thanks.
Dave Moon damoon@msn.com

Dennis - Thank you for the offer! Actually, I'm in NoCal. I'll mention your price to my regular dealer and see what he can do.

It's gratifying to read that I'm not the ONLY one who has been purchasing magazines sans rifle! Geeez....

Cliff

Back