M1A - how accurate?

bk40

Using quality ammo, what is the typical accuracy I can expect at 100 and 200yds?

Is there accuracy to be gained by purchasing the "loaded" M1A vs the standard M1A?

I'm not interested in using iron sights and would scope my M1A, if this helps.

[This message has been edited by bk40 (edited March 07, 2000).]

Usually the loaded rifle has a match barrel and a Match trigger group (two stage 4 pound pull) it should shoot 1 or 2 MOA better (at least) than a standard key word "should"

My "loaded" M1A shot 2.5 out of the box. I am afraid I am out of practice and it shoots better than me right now.

My old M1A-SuperMatch will still put 5 shots in less than an inch at 100 yards. (5/8" when the force is with me) But who wants to shoot targets so close?

First of all, let me say that I am a M14/M1A
nut. I had a SA M1A Super Match for a while and never had a scope on it. This rifle would shoot less than 2 MOA at 300 yds from a rest with M80 Ball. Very Good IMHO.
Springfield Armory action worked up to Peerless + a trick or two will hold just under 1 MOA at 300 yds with M80 Ball and under that with Federal 168 gr. Match, also from a rest, and using a Kahles ZF 84 scope.
Then I have a M-21 setup using a SA action and ART II scope that is still doing around half MOA as long as the M118 holds out.
The "Loaded" rifle will come with a heavier barrel an more attention to detail. As long as the trigger is crisp, which should be expected, 4 lbs is not bad on a rifle such as this. Take care in the choice of your scope and mounts and you should have a great rig!
Have fun,
Hank

Thanks for the insights.

HankL, see in your profile you live in Madison Co, I'm up I-55 about 2 hrs from you in Water Valley - you got a used, like new M1A you want to sell? :)

Hi again bk40-

I have a run of the mill M1A, nothing special, regular barrel, regular trigger, no accurizing done. I get 2.25" groups at 100 yards using iron sights. I am not a very good shot. I think that a good rifleman who does not need to wear my glasses would probably get 1.25" grps w/ my gun, maybe 1". After accurizing, I suppose it could go down to .5"?

Take care- mckysdad

bk40 You drive kinda slow! Sorry, but I buy guns not sell them. If I find a deal on a keeper I will let you know!
Hank

I have a M14SA put together by Federal Ordinance with a 3x9 Tasco scope that shoots better than 1 moa on a good day. I tried it at 600yds a few years ago and my best was 8" for 5 shots. I've read that these rifles have a lot of problems but mine seems to shoot ok. MWT

hello mckysdad - any Canadian 45s in your area? :D

HankL, I quoted the driving time with my wife along for the ride, my solo time is much quicker!! ;) - appreciate you giving me a holler if you find a good buy!

Back