M1A ammo?what can I buy?

mongrel66

I just came home with a new M1A loaded..(nm barrel,sights,suppressor, and trigger). this is the first weapon i've owned that has given me the head space in writing attached to the trigger...WITH a hefty warning about how i will be blown to tiny pieces if i use the wrong ammo..so my head space is 1.6315...what the heck are the ranges that i can shoot?my shooting friend has .308 win 180gr hi shok soft point..will i die if i shoot this ammo?
second... the little gas tube valve screw whatever its called...if i turn it off can i shoot the weapon in a single shot mode without chucking brass?
help -johnny

You can use any factory ammo in your M1A. The 180 gr bullet is at the upper limit on projectile weight because heavier bullets usually require slower powders to attain the requisite velocity. Slower powders are a problem with the M1A and M1 because the peak pressure curve causes the bolt to cycle too rapidly, which could bend the operating rod. Bullets weighing from 150 gr to 173 gr are usually optimum in the M1A.
I think the warning is for handloads. Handloads are fine in the M1A if you make sure that you use no powder slower than IMR 4064, that you full length resize the cases, and that you use the new CCI military type of primer. It has a different type of anvil geometry that will ensure that you don't have slamfires due to soft primer cups.
One other bit of advice; NEVER, NEVER let the bolt close on a round that you have placed in the chamber, always place the round in the magazine and let the bolt feed it into the chamber. If you don't feed from the mag, the bolt velocity will more than likely cause the round to fire before the bolt has locked up, which could make for a very bad day. Have fun with your rifle, the M1A is a dandy.
Mike

Back