M1A ammo question

theprisoner

I caved in and finally bought a new Springfield M1A loaded. Now this rifle has the national match barrel on it and was told by one the guys at the gunshop that he only shoots match grade ammo through his and that I should also becuase the national match barrel is not chrome lined and not as durable as the standard barrels. Now my question is would it be harmful to the barrel if used surplus ammo (non corrisive of course) through it and is there certain types of ammo I should avoid? I wanted to use this rifle a lot but I do not want to damage the barrel. Appreciate any help you can give me, thanks.

------------------
I AM NOT NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!

Well, any decent copper(gilding metal) jacketed ammo is not going to "damage" the barrel. However, any ammo(any ammo that generates pressure and heat) will cause wear, especially in the throat. Wear is unavoidable, just live with it. Average accuracy life with a decent match barrel in 308 is about 5000rds give or take. Lots of rapid fire will decrease life, all slow fire (cold barrel) will increase life. 5000 is a lot of rounds (was two years for me, on average)and that's accuracy life, it'll keep going bang more or less forever. Lack of, or improper cleaning can also affect barrel life. I don't see why everybody is all hot for chromed barrels for match guns, accuracy generally ain't all that great. SS is the way to go. Semper Fi....

In general, surplus NATO spec. ammo is MILSPEC to us here in the U.S. Today's surplus was someones issue a few years ago. I don't think that you will have any problems with this type of ammo but it will not let you gain the accuracy potential you should expect. Even if using U.S. M118 Ball or Federal Match good cleaning of the bore will be a must. Good handloads are another way to go but it is quite a bit more demanding than loading for a bolt gun.
HTH, Hank

Back