M1911 barrel fit; battering the frame?

Dogger

I have a full size all steel Springfield M1911A1 that shoots well and locks up really tight. Maybe too tight. Last night I had the pistol disassembled and I was comparing the fit of the factory barrel in the Springfield slide to the fit of the factory barrel of my Colt CCO. I noticed that the breach face (right side as you are looking down the barrel from the breach end) of the Springfield barrel is making contact with the steel shoulder of the slide between the extractor and the ejection port. Is this something to be concerned about? The gun only has about 200 rounds through it, but already you can see where the sharp bevel of the chamber mouth has worn off the blueing on the slide, and is in fact making a shallow impression in the steel. On the Colt, there is no contact between the barrel and the frame at this point. What do you think? Thanks!

Dogger, it sounds as if the barrel hood is fit incorrectly. The barrel should sit with the firing pin centered on the chamber when the action is closed. There are alignment tools to check this. It may be as simple as welding up the hood and recutting it but it really should be checked with an alignment tool before doing anything. George

Back