m1903 stock style questions.

tahunua001

hello all.
I have a low number serial Springfield 1903 manufactured in 1912. it is all springfield parts with the exception a Remington bolt. the only thing I'm not sure on is the stock. I was hoping someone here might know if it's original or was part of the arsenal refurbs. the current stock on it is a S style with grasping grooves.

According to the Harrington book the 1912 rifle has a S style with grasping grooves and one recoil lug. The two recoil lugs started in 1917.

The "P" proof should be 1/2 inch diameter. May have a "S" in the cutoff notch.

thanks madcratecrabber. I guess it's safe to say that it is the original stock or at the very least a period correct stock.

I think so, especially if it's a single lug stock.

I would say that 99.9% of '03's have gone through at least one clean and repair and odds are that at least one part was changed. I have tried to quit using the term "Original" and use "Correct" in it's place.

yes everything is springfield parts except for a remington bolt so it would be more accurate to say correct, maybe someday I can find a poor guy with a remington using a springfield bolt and offer him a trade :D

You need a type 2 bolt, straight handle, black oil quench finish with gas port. These were used from 1908 to 1918. Above serial #802,00 are double heat treated and well be marked J6 or similar on top of bolt root.

Now that evil bay has changed back to the old gun listing rules there are a lot of '03 bolts listed. Shouldn't be to hard to find a straight handle bolt. I found a very nice one for my RIA for $35 or so.

Back