M1842 Aston Johnson Initial Impressions

Model12Win

Hello everyone! As some of you may or may not know, I am a big fan of the single shot U.S. martial pistols, often called "horse pistols." These guns were used before the introduction of repeating percussion handguns such as the Colt revolver. I have owned and have been very pleased with the Pedersoli reproduction of the M1805 Harpers Ferry pistol, and posted a review here a few months ago.

Well, I have always wanted an original M1842 Aston Johnson pistol. And you know what? I got one in the mail today!! :D

20160302_171910.jpg

20160302_171950.jpg

20160302_171935.jpg

Here it is next to my repro M1805 Harpers Ferry:

20160302_173004_1.jpg

My overall impressions are very good. The caliber is .54, and it takes musket caps. The action holds nice and tight at half and full cock. The trigger, which is normally heavy on these guns, is very light on this one. It may well have had some trigger work done at some point in the past century and a half plus. The bore is dark with some rust, which is to be expected. I'm sure it will clean up well. I'm going to have this gun thoroughly inspected and repaired if needed by Lodgewood Mfg. of Wisconsin before I take it to the range.

Thanks for reading, and keep on the lookout for the full range report and review! :)

The Model 1842 is an excellent gun. They were all well made, very reliable and well liked by the troops who used them. IMHO, they were the best single shot percussion military pistol ever made. They look at first like a conversion of the flintlock Model 1836, but they are actually improved in ways besides the use of percussion.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.

I am sending this gun off to Lodgewood Mfg. so they can work their magic on it.

When it comes back, I will take it to the range to see what it can do. :)

We have better materials today, of course, but in terms of quality of workmanship, that M1842 is a far better made firearm than any repro. The sears and tumblers are hardened, the nipples are hard, the springs are top quality, and there is very little hand fitting or filing - lock parts are almost all fully machine-made.

Jim

Yep, this one does seem to have an issue at full cock. Half cock holds very well, no push off.

However, at full cock, I am noticing that the trigger pull is very light. Maybe 2 lbs. Also, it experiences push off when at full cock with firm pressure on the back of the hammer.

I think a part will need to be replaced there or otherwise repaired. Not a big deal, I don't mind getting the work done if that will put this old horse pistol back on active duty. :cool:

Model12, Knock it off! All these pics of your pistols IS NOT helping my already tapped out gun budget! :D I do need to add one of some sort to the smoke wagon collection. Nice pistol though! Congrats. I would ask what an antique like that would cost, but I might be afraid of the answer!! :D

Nice looking Johnson and congrats on getting such a nice one!

What you describe as "trigger work" actually has to do with the tumbler notches/sear engagement. Lodgewood will do a good job for you - good folks to deal with! Will be interesting to hear how it shoots! :)

Thanks gang! I shipped the gun off to Lodgewood earlier today. I called beforehand and they were very nice. I'm going to have the lockwork fixed and the crack in the stock secured by them. When I get the pistol back, I think I'm going to have it relined by Robert Hoyt. The bore on it is very rusted and pitted, and is quite oversized.

With luck, this M1842 pistol will be back on active duty just in time for some summer shooting fun!! :D

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress!

Back