M16 Triggers

Machineguntony

Does any manufacturer sell a custom M16 or full auto AR trigger? All the custom trigger makers sell only semi auto triggers, from what I see on their websites.

I've become accustomed to the M16 trigger, and I don't mind it. Yesterday I shot a friends' semi auto AR with a Geissele trigger, and I was quite surprised by the smooth trigger. My friend thought that the M16 triggers were an abomination, to which I laughed.

Btw, even if you shoot a modern AR like a DD or a LWRC, you still have to swap out the trigger with an M16 trigger.

I can not find a custom M16 trigger. I've gotten used to the nasty M16 triggers, so I'm just going to stick with it. I imagine the market for such triggers has to exist in the military or LE market.

Last night I followed a youtube video on how to stone a trigger. It does make a difference. I was conservative with my stoning. How far can I go in stoning the trigger before I make the trigger unsafe or unusable?

Tony

Be VERY careful stoning AR/M-16 trigger parts. These parts are SURFACE hardened and the underlying metal is very soft.

Its all too common for folks to ruin the parts in the process of attempting trigger improvements.

Better to shop around and find a Gisselle auto trigger. You WILL like that. Huge improvement over stock

I don't have any experience with Geissele automatic triggers, but I have a lot of experience with their semi-auto triggers and I own a rifle with their SSA-E. Geissele triggers are absolutely amazing; they're arguably the best triggers on the market. You won't be disappointed.

A few years back I sold out and moved to a smaller place. Dumping drawers for the auction, I found I had enough parts to completely build two AR's if I bought the lowers. I always just used an M-16 trigger, hammer, and disconnector (I always ground the back of the disconnector off) when building a semi. I really had not followed the AR mutations for years, but I would think that you should still be able to buy an M-16 trigger without any restrictions. It really has nothing to do with the full auto stage. Am I wrong here?

From my understanding, M16 triggers can be purchased without restriction. You just can't have all the parts, specifically the GI auto sear plus a semi auto laying around. ATF may deem that to be constructive possession of a machine gun or possession of conversion parts.

There are several vendors who will sell all the parts. Installing them, without a proper FFL or other form of transferrable NFA registered part that allows you to do a legal conversion or installation, will earn you a 10 year vacation to Club Fed.

I stoned exactly 2 before I wised up. They shot great! For a while. I notice, while they still shoot ok, they're wearing very quickly. live and Learn! Been checking out some after market triggers for the eventuality.:(

You just can't have all the parts, ...

Be aware there are places where possession of a "machine gun part" in or out of a gun is not allowed (state, and in some cases local law). Years ago they never cared much what was in the gun as long as it wasn't functionally full auto. Nowdays, people have been taken to court for even a single M16 part in the fire control group.

Didn't hear that they went to jail, (if that was the only "offense) but they did have to go to court.

Back in the 70s and the era of the M16A1 (and the matching AR semi), we were told that the trigger group parts were made of "sintered metal" with hardened contact surfaces. Stoning them would break through the thin hard layer and they would wear very quickly after that.

I don't know what they put in the A2 and more modern versions, but I would be very surprised if it was forged milled parts. ;)

As others have mentioned do not stone AR/M16 triggers, they are surface hardened not hardened all the way through and stoning them will remove it.

Back