M16 Sear and Bolt Questions.

riverwalker76

I ran across a situation the other day, and thought I might ask someone more knowledgeable than myself.

I have/had the opportunity to purchase 4 M16 sears and 4 M16 Carrier assemblies yesterday, but I was leery of the situation.

The guy was an honest guy, but I didn't know what the legal stance on them was, and if I could legally own them. I know with some automatic parts it's a gray area, and I don't want to leave myself open for scrutiny.

I kind of got the feeling that the guy was playing 'hot potato' with them, and didn't want to get caught holding the 'potato' when the music stopped. ;)

Could I legally own them, and why or why not?

I do not have any special FFL status. I'm an average joe.

Thanks

They are not controlled items. However, the ATF has sternly warned against possessing any M16 fire control parts while you possess any AR-15 style receiver. Constructive possession would occur when you possess enough parts to make a full-auto firearm.

There is nothing wrong with putting an M16 bolt carrier in an otherwise stock AR-15 provided you don't possess any M16 fire control parts. There is an ATF letter that says as much. Various AR-15's have been sold with M16 bolt carriers.

Avoid the sears.

-z

The only functional difference in an AR-15 is that it has more mass, which will cause the bolt carrier group to cycle a little slower.

WHat are the advantages of the M16 bolt carriers over the AR15 bolt carriers?

It used to be that the M16 bolt carriers were chromed - some AR15 bolt carriers were not chromed; they had the serations for use with the forward assist; and they were heavier and thus preceived as more reliable. You can use an M16 bolt carrier in an AR15 witout any concern from BATFE.

Also, like someone said, the M16 Autosear is not a regulated item - you can buy one. There is no specific law that says you can't own one if you own an AR15....BUT, if you have all of the full-auto parts AND an AR15, the BATFE could try to make a case against you for constructive possession, or intent to manufacture a machinegun, like someone already said.

The interesting thing about the semi v. auto bolt carriers is that for some full-auto conversions you actually need the SP1 style semi-auto carrier - lightning link conversions.

That's what my main concern was..... that the M16 bolt carrier was more reliable and durable than the AR15 carrier. Ahh ... I've already decided that I don't need one, but it was an interesting thought.

If the M16 carrier is heavier than the AR15 carrier I would have concerns of having to load my rounds hotter to make up for the difference in weight. It's too much trouble.

Back