M16 options

Beretta686

I'm considering selling my MAC-10 and getting an M16 for grins & giggles when I get back from Iraq but have several questions about them:

Is there any real, tangible difference between the factory guns & the ones converted from regular AR-15s?

Any brands to prefer or avoid (especially if going for a conversion)?

What's a good price for an M16 now (I've seen them from $9-16k)?

Is there any real, tangible difference between the factory guns & the ones converted from regular AR-15s?
Not if it's done well.

Any brands to prefer or avoid (especially if going for a conversion)?
Colt will always be the most desirable. If you want a shooter, you can save a few $K by NOT going for the Pony. Mine is a Sendra receiver that was converted by Bushmaster. Works just fine for me. IMO, brand is more of a personal preference.
What's a good price for an M16 now (I've seen them from $9-16k)?
If you can fine a complete gun for $9k or less, that would be a great deal. $10-11K is more average for a non-Colt. Colts will typically be more like $13k+, but you can find some of them for $10k also. Be aware that some Colt conversions may have the large take down pin. This means you cannot just pop in a non-Colt upper unless you have the conversion pins.

Look here for the going rates:
http://sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi

The EA receivers are the world's ugliest, The Colt SP1 conversions need an adapter to accept std. upper receivers, The Colt A1 is the most common and least expensive Colt factory gun. A proper conversion on a Sendra is the shooters choice, SGW conversions on Olympic arms had some tolerance fit issues most by now would have been corrected, check magazines that they fit and that std. uppers swap onto the lower with no binding of takedown pin issues.

Up untill 1986 any company or individual could do conversions so untill you see the gun and check it out no saying how well Billy Joe Bob did converting the gun. Anything can be corrected by a talented gunsmith no matter how bad the hack job is. Shoot the gun if possible. When people say their gun is Bushmaster and for sale remember it is always a Bushmaster conversion of some other receiver, Bushmaster did not make the receiver, though they did fine conversions do not listed to the this is a factory Bushmaster gun it is not.

Other than that good luck on your hunt for your next gun.

Back