m16 ar15 question?

ragwd

What modern rifle most resembles the m-16 that our brave men carried in Viet Nam, is the ar-15 a close match or is there another that is a closer match?

you can get an AR15 with the right barrel profile,triangle hand guards and flashider and be a dead ringer .:D and not all that went were brave ,some were pretty scared.

The AR-15 and M-16 are the same rifle, the only difference is the M-16 has some parts which make it capable of full auto fire. The rifle hasn't changed much since it was first used in Vietnam. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the barrel and chamber are now chrome lined, The rear sight has adjustment for both elevation and windage instead of just windage, the forward assist was added and the handguard is now round with ribs instead of triangular and smooth. The brass deflector may also be an improvement over the first AR-15, but I'm not sure.

In a semi-auto, its probably the Colt SP1 - especially the early versions with the 3-prong flash suppressor and no forward assist, rather than the later transitional models with a birdcage and a F/A. However, if you have the bucks to spend you can get the real deal - early M16's can be found and bought for between $10k-20k (depending upon the usual factors - model, condition, etc.)

you can get an AR15 with the right barrel profile,triangle hand guards and flashider and be a dead ringer . and not all that went were brave ,some were pretty scared.

Yeah I have a couple of friends who said their dads were in Vietnam, and they were very scared.

But as for the subject, an AR-15 IS a semiautomatic M16.

Step 1: Go to CDNN and order a genu-ine USGI Upper. (might be a little late for most of VietNam, they're mid-70's vintage I think)

Step 2: Go to Moore Militaria or Sherluk and order a genu-ine USGI buttstock and grip. The one I got still has some tape and paper on the butt from where an ID number was taped once upon a time.

Step 3: Order a stripped lower receiver and the miscelleneous pieces parts. You may need a buffer assembly, you'll definately need a bolt carrier and semi-auto trigger group, etc.

If you want to get particularly authentic, it'll take some looking and patience to find the various take down pins, selector, etc... ar15.com has a retro forum that's been a help.

I think my A1 clone is in the $650-700 range, going as above. Cheaper than most SP1s, and it has the nice cache of being (in most parts) actual gov't issue.

I think my A1 clone is in the $650-700 range, going as above. Cheaper than most SP1s, and it has the nice cache of being (in most parts) actual gov't issue.

Not a bad way to go if you want to do it on the cheap, but with a new receiver you lose the slabside lower; the mag release fence wasn't added until much later. With the SP1 lower and a slickside upper (no forward assist) you get very close to the original M16. Add the proper A1 grip, 3-prong flash suppressor, A1 stock and triangular handguards and you're about as close as you can get.

Yeah I have a couple of friends who said their dads were in Vietnam, and they were very scared.

Scared is putting it lightly. Terrified is more like it! Each day you think that you might die an agonizing death in some God forsaken remote area that you don't even know the name of. The whole experience was bizzare to say the least. Vietnam vet, 4th Infantry Division, 57th AHC. 67' 68'

That they were scared doesn't mean they weren't brave. Brave doesn't mean one isn't scared, but that he carries on despite the fear. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but scared men did a lot of heroic things. God bless them.

thanks for all the great tips on my m16 look alike quest. I am sure that everyone there was scared but many did brave things in spite of being scared

Some From the pictures I've seen, there were plenty of A1s with the full fence in VietNam. Look over at AR-15's "Retro" forum in the "Real Deal" thread -- lots of 'em like that. There are still differences from A2 lowers, but not that noticable - reinforcements around the pivot pin lugs and such. And word is there will be some real A1 receiver repros on the market early next year. I want two, one to replace the Stag my A1 is sitting on now. :D

(I'm sure some of our wise elders here would have more info on what they saw when. Thank you SO much gentlemen, scared or not you did us all a great service. God bless you. )

What I'd really like to find is a pre-brass deflect upper though. All the "A1s" I see on the market have that, and it won't really fit the XM177E2 I want to make someday.

Revgen, you beat me to it.

The brass deflecor was added because left handed shooters needed a special plastic brass deflecor to keep from getting hit in the face by brass. They snapped on and off and were easily lost.

The fence around the magazine button came in with the -A1 enhancements, which entered service in 1967.
HTH,
vanfunk

Back