M16 22lr conversions-which is best?

kirkcdl

I have a friend that has an M16,and he's looking to add a 22lr conversion to it,for cheap hosing.I know there are at least 3 companies making FA capable conversions,Spike's and Ciener,I forget the third one.Can someone tell me,preferably from personal experience,which is most reliable in FA mode?Thanks...

Ciener, Spikes and CMMG are all the same design, created by Jonathan Arthur Ciener, who is apparently a total douchebag...there is also the US M261 conversion designed for I think the USAF...

Buy a Ciener and post on a gunboard about it, and prepare to be flamed. I bought one, did so, and was.

I also got several comments that it works very well, which I also found to be true.

I have the Ciener M16 .22LR conversion and it works ok. It is different than the AR-15 conversion.

Jonathan Arthur Ciener, who is apparently a total douchebag

I've purchased 3 machineguns and 3 suppressors directly from Ciener over the years and haven't found him to be a total douchebag. He has let me shoot some of his other guns while at his shop with him paying for the ammo and he has done repairs for me at no charge.

I have a Ciener 22 conversion unit for my M16-it works well but is ammo senstive, it dosent like some brands of ammo. I also have several Ciener suppressors and have never had any troubles with the suppressors or his conversion units.

I bought my Ciener M16 conversion around 1989. They originally came with a 30 round magazine. The 10 round magazine came about because of the 1994 Semi-Automatic Assault Weapon ban.

I have Spike's upper for my M16. I've only had the chance to fire it once so far. It was jamming a lot, but only has 200 rounds through it so far. It did seem to improve as I shot it more. The best burst I got was about 15 rounds. Can't really make a good judgement until I use it some more.

I have had a Ciener M-16 22cal conversion kit for years and it works great on my Colt.
Make sure you stipulate that you want the M16 unit and not the one for the AR15. They are different.
One other minor point. These units are made specifically for the Colt firearm. They generally work in other manufacturer's guns as well but if possible try one out in your gun first if it is not a Colt, find someone here that has your make/model gun and has had luck with the 22cal kit, or be prepared to possibly need to make some adjustments or have a gunsmith do it for you.

Back