M1203 sniper rifle

SandMan.308

Inactive
I was wondering wether anyone had any information on the m1203 rifle used by marine scout/snipers. I believe it's a .308 though I am not sure

thanx

Can you be more specific? I keep up pretty well on what type of thunderstick folks in DoD use.. Never seen that model number.

As far as I know, the Corp still uses a highly modified M700. Their internal nomenclature is M40 or M40a1 if I'm not mistaken. (corrected by the next poster) :-)

The Army has adopted the M24, same basic system, not as tuned and has some componant differences.

Talking to the Iron Brigade folks, the Corp has a Designated Marksman Rifle - essentially an M14 with a scope. Maybe that has the M1203 moniker.

There is also the M203 - an M16 with a Grenade Launcher under the barrel.

Giz

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited September 23, 1999).]

The Marine Sniper rifle is a rifle I designed for them and trained their Armors. It has my fiberglass stock and a heavy barrel. The designation is M40A1. We are working on a replacement which will have a new designed stock and be designated M40A5. The designated marksman rifle is a M14 on my fiberglass scope with a pistol grip. I don't know what they are going to designate it.

Thanks Mr. McMillan.

Hank -

The USMC never adopted the M21. (M14 w/ART scope) The DMR is supposed to be better than the M16A2 (bigger bullet, longer range) but not cost as much as the M40 series, which is a custom rifle. The M40A1's are built by the Marines - no off the shelf stuff here.

Giz

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

[This message has been edited by Gizmo99 (edited September 23, 1999).]

Sorry Gizmo99, Must have been thinking about the dad gum Army!I was only in the Navy so I can't remember how I thought some of those rifles came into the hands of US Marines.
It's been a while!
Best to all,
Hank

gizmo...I am aware of the other rifles used by the corps in the art of sniping and I am sure that this rifle is not a modified m14 it is bolt action. There is similarity in name with the m203 (which is not neccesarily the m16 with the 40mm grenade launcher yet the grenade launcher itself which can be adapted to m16's and m4 carbines.)

Sandman You have misunderstood Gismo. The M40 A1 is the only sniper rifle the Corp uses. It is a modified 700Rem . The DMR (designated marksman rifle is the M14 with a light weight fiberglass stock with a pistol grip. They have just completed the first 100 of them. Or at least I delivered the first 100 stocks recently When the M40 A1 is replaced it will be with the M40A5 which will also be on my stock.

Back