M1 Stock Finish?

Hammy

Does anyone happen to know what kind of finish is on the M1 carbine and M1 Garand? If so, what is it and where can you find it? I have a birch stock on a rifle and I would like to refinish it with the same finish that is on the M1's.

Many of the original M1 carbines and garands were finished in oil, either tung or linseed. These finishes impregnate the wood fibers but are not that effective for protecting the wood surface from moisture and other environmental marauders.

I refinished my M1 Garand in a matt marine spar varnish. It gives the same appearance as the oils, with much better protection.

Regards,

Noban

Use linseed oil cut 50-50 with mineral spirits paint thinner, and rub it on by hand till its smooth. Let it dry for a day or so depending on heat and humidity them repeat untill you have the finish desired.

------------------
Carlyle

It will be difficult to get the "same" finish on a birch stock, since it's a much more dense wood than the typical walnut stock of the Garand. You may have to stain it before the oil finish to get it to look like the traditional Garand stock. OTOH, I think the birch is a superior stock material, FWIW.

Back