M1 Springfield Garand vs. LRB or Fulton M14

breeze14

Inactive
Fairly new at this and need advise: I was about to order either a LRB or Fulton M14 when today i ran across what seemed to be a very clean M1 Springfield in 30.06. It appeared all original.

A very high asking price granted of $2500. However if I order either a LRB or Fulton, it's going to cost me at least that and probably closer to $3,000.

I was so very set on a M14 and now I'm wondering........

I expect I will want my purchase to be a shooter but not in competition.

What you say out there? Many thanks. Breeze

Can't beat the classic and clean stylings of a Garand clad in wood furniture...that said, the polymer doesnt look half bad, either...

In the end I would likely choose Springfield, though...after all, they invented and produced the Garand...

I had a Fulton Peerless built a couple of years ago and another standard M14.I also have a Springfield Garand. Have you shot either of them yet? They are two different critters in my opinion and love both. If ammo is an issue, CMP has '06 really cheap and it shoots great. I shoot commercial and surplus through the M14s'. For what it is worth, If I build another M14, it will be on an LRB receiver. First rifle is the last build, reparked and worked by Warbird in Texas. Second is the Fulton Peerless. Over one year wait for the Fulton, but very happy. Don't have a pic of the Garand, but you know what they look like. Mine was new in the box Springfield bought for way less than a grand from estate sale. Love it too.
IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Fulton is over priced and you would have a loooong wait. Get a Springfield Arms M1A. IMHO they are better quality.

Fairly new at this and need advise: I was about to order either a LRB or Fulton M14 when today i ran across what seemed to be a very clean M1 Springfield in 30.06. It appeared all original.

A very high asking price granted of $2500. However if I order either a LRB or Fulton, it's going to cost me at least that and probably closer to $3,000.

Breeze14,

Do I understand correctly that you were looking at an M1 Garand for $2500??? :eek::eek:

GAD!!! that's overpriced to the point of being ludicrous (sp?). The only way an M1 could be worth that price tag is if it's a full blown Match Grade (And even there that's a few hundred $$$ high.) or it's an all original WWII Collector Grade, but from your description there is no way it can be.

You can get a very nice Service Grade M1 from the CMP for $600. The CMP also sells Correct Grade SA's for $950 that look almost brand new.... and these ARE genuine USGI rifles.

If you are wanting a decent shooter M14 type (M1A), then $1400-$1500 will get you a new loaded model from SA Inc.

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever

If you want a Garand in like new condition get a Special Grade from the CMP for $900.

I'd go with the LRB M14.

texfar, that is an absolutely exquisite stock on that first M-14. Me likey!!!!:D

As for the Fulton Armory M-14, Walt, whose alias is wjkulek, has a lot of data/works for Fulton Armory and can give you a lot of insight on what you get for their pricetag. PM him. If he sees this post, he'll pop in and say hello, but I have not seen him posting in a while.

Beware the Springfield.

If it's too clean-looking, it could be one of their recent re-introductions of the M1 Garand, made by Springfield Inc (not Springfield Armory of yesteryear), about 5-10 years ago.

Those routinely sold for about $900 or so out the door.

Get the M14. Whether Fulton, SEI, Springfield Inc., LRB or some smaller custom smith... they are unlike anything else to shoot. Just amazing.

That being said, I have a lot of respect for well-maintained original USGI Garands too. I've got a buddy with a .308 Garand that is a complete joy to shoot, but I personally prefer magazines to enbloc clips.

Looking at your list...

If you want a Garand make it a CMP rifle... If you want an M14 make it an LRB.
I don't think Fulton has any receivers to build rifles on these days...

My personal preference is having SEI custom build my M14s on forged Poly Tech
and Norinco receivers with a combination of USGI, Chinese and SEI parts.

Last edited:
I second the LRB - drop forged components. Worth the money and wait. I sat with them for about 1 hour at SHOT discussing their operations in 2006. If I wanted an M1A I'd look no further than LRB of NY.

Back