M1 search

Rome

I've been looking for an M1.
Before I posted this question, I searched this site and found a great post by Flyerm14 on 1/21/99 regarding the search for a good M1. Now I'm looking for one and would like to know why the situation seems to have changed so dramatically. I went to a 900 table gun show in Springfield, MA yesterday and couldn't find one single M1 for under $400. Most of them ran in the 600-800 range with quite a few over $1000. I was not prepared for this type of "stickershock"! Is it still possible to find a "reasonable" GI M1 out there or has the market just gone crazy? Springfield made over 6.6 million of these weapons and I can't believe what they were selling for at the show. As I continue my search, should I still be looking at a GI version? I'm new to rifles but have recently enjoyed match shooting with an AR15 and AK45 but want a much more "traditional" rifle and have always love the M1 design. Any help/infor will be apprecaited.
Rome

The shows that I have gone to i have never seen a m1 going for $400, not in years.....It could be I dont go to the right shows...most of them are always around &600....imo the best place to purchase one is through the civilian marksmenship program (cmp), .....the cost is around $400 for a svc grade rifle......the one I shoot now is capable of out shooting me...at 100yds will keeps them in the 10 ring, that is a svc grade M1........fubsy.

guess youve been out of it for awile.its going to cost you 600 to 800 to get one,you might want to consider finding a lower receiver and and building you a match rifle.it will be about the same price and much better.

Check the Shotgun News. I believe I have seen some M1s offered recently for @ $450 to $500, but I don't remember the condition.

As fubsy said, buy a CMP Service Grade Garand for $400, straight from the US government. It will be all USGI parts in serviceable condition and safe to shoot. Check out www.odcmp.com for more information. Once the paperwork is completed and sent to the CMP, it should only take a few weeks to receive.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited March 13, 2000).]

Most of the M1's in SGN in the $450 range are not made on USGI receivers. I have read several uncomplementary reports on these.
Fulton Armory,s website has one such article.
Good luck in your search.
Hank

I appreciate the help. What I finally did was to remember that I have a friend who is a world class collector of WWII artifacts, including weapons. While at Church this Sunday (of all places) I asked him about the M1 and he agreed to find one for me but did confirm that the costs of these rifles has gone up but figured that he could find one for me in the 4-500 dollar range. He'll also find one completely GI so I'll be able to work with it easily. And, the numbers should all match so I won't have to worry about poor quality parts. I'll let you all know if I ever get one.
Rome

Originally posted by Destructo6:
Once the paperwork is completed and sent to the CMP, it should only take a few weeks to receive.

I am getting ready to order one this week. I ahve all the necessary papers (Voter card, Discharge papers etc.) however I thought that it would take months to get it in. I am glad to see that you say it will only take a few weeks.

Back