M1 Garand

chink

What would you guys pay?
A local dealer has them for 549 I want one kinda, but I kinda also want a S&W 686+ in 357, and I want a shotgun and I something 308 bolt action. and i want a lever action something and I want a .... this can go on forever.

Is 549 a good price for a Garand?

------------------
It ain't mah fault. did I do dat?
http://yellowman.virtualave.net/

That's what they cost here. I paid $600 for my fiberglass stocked shortie and think it money well-spent (though would have grabbed an FAL instead had it not been an impulse buy).

Is this one of the new-made receivers with a GI parts kit? I wonder about these things...

If you get yourself in gear, you can still order one from www.odcmp.com before the price hike in June. They are currently $400, soon to be $500. This is truly the best deal, save for the deal of a lifetime.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Destructo6:
Is this one of the new-made receivers with a GI parts kit? I wonder about these things...[/quote]

Fulton Armory (http://www.fulton-armory.com/) is one of the best around when it comes to military rifles and performing work on them. Their opinion is that the new receivers are "junk with a capital J". I would be inclined to agree with them as I have seen some of the Chinese M-14 recievers that Fulton says is junk and they are so right on that note. If the receiver is made by Springfield Armory, Winchester, or HRA it is not a bad deal, but as Destructo6 reccomends, get your paperwork in the the CMP now before the June 1st increase and you can get a great Garand for $400 plus $19.95 shipping.

------------------
Carlyle

I'd agree that the CMP is the best deal going. I purchased one of the CAI rifles and was a mistake, I couldn't wait to get one from the CMP. The CAI required a bit of work but I got it straight and is reliable. List of stuff: elev. knob, spring cover, tighten sight base, extractor/spring, correct gas cylinder lock, peen gas cylinder splines to tighten up and the barrel is slightly out of time but very little front sight windage was required to get no wind zero. Not to mention blasting media in all the wrong places and no sight indexing marks. It has about 500-600 rounds through it now and it shoots ok(3" at 100 yds.). The only thing that concerns me know is the receiver quality, so I'm going to get a receiver from the CMP and use the CAI as a paperweight. If you want a parts kit for $500, thats what you'll get, I won't make the same mistake twice. Check out Fulton on the CAI test, it's right on, as a CAI sucker/owner I agree 100%.

Southla1, you might want to recheck what the Fulton site has to say about the Chinese M14 receiver as it's the bolt that are a POS and the receiver is actually very hard. I had a Polytech rebuilt buy them, it has served me well and maintains headspace with the Winchester barrel and TRW bolt. Now on the other hand if I were to do that all over again(funny I wasn't thinking about it when I purchased the CAI)I would go Springfield all the way and Springfield will take care of you, at least much better than the PRC did me. Good luck.

Brian

Back