M1 Garand

aztec777

I am considering picking up a Century M1 Garand. The one I am looking at is made with a Caspian receiver and USGI parts. I have a 1911 Caspian and love it. Has anyone had any experience with this rifle and/or receiver? I have always thought of quality when I heard Caspian. The rifle is only $469. Thanks.

Steve

The Local gunsmith who works on the Garands and M1A uses only Springfield or Arms Corps receivers. Seen some real nice ones built on a $149 parts sets with a $400 arms corp. receiver and $95 charge to put it togather

Better off getting it from the CMP, I have 4 from them (3 this year, 1 last) and they all rock. I've been offered alot for them but wouldn't part with them for the world (hmmm....doesn't make much sense, if I had the world, I'd have all the Garands!)

I have been considering getting one from the
CMP. Recently went to their web site and
learned that any with good bores (#1 or #2)
are called a different grade, are more
expensive, and they are so backordered they
will not even accept the application. What
they seem to have is the poorer grades of
bores.
I know nothing of the bore grading #s (1-5).
Am I being foolish to not get a CMP M1
because it is likely to have a #4 or #5
graded bore?
Thanks, Danm

One of the requirements for the CMP is having shot 50 rounds of high power rifle. Is this competition or just in front of an authorized person? How long does it usually take to get the rifle to me? Is it shipped to an FFL?

Your allowed to order two service grades per year starting this year. You can also order 1 Danish grade gun and if you shoot in a John C. Garand hipower match, you can order a second danish grade. My 3 this year have been a June 1943 Springfield Armory that was a post war rebuild with a virtually new 1944 dated barrel on it. The second service grade was a 1954 H&R that is almost all original with an virtually new barrel, the only thing that is not original is the stock. The danish grade gun is a gun that was loaned to the Denmark government after WWII and was recently returned to the US. It is a Nov 1942 Springfield Armory with a beat up ugly WWII stock, brand new Danish made VAR barrel and a mix of SA, Winchester, and Beretta made parts.

Yes you have to shoot 50 shots in a hipower rifle match, or if you've ever served in the armed forces, that requirement is waived. For information on hipower matches in your area, consult you local state shooting association or checkout www.fulton-armory.com for more info and scroll down to CMP Qualification opportunities. It may seem like a lot of trouble to shoot the match but its alot of fun and once you shoot one you don't need to again for 5 years (per the CMP). Once you send the appropriate paperwork in, you should get the M1 in about a month (my last two were 18 days, and 26 days). The gun is shipped direct to your door by Fed Ex overnight. Someone must be home to sign for it.

Sigarms229--Thank you for all of the informaion you've given. Now that I have decided to get a couple of rifles, where can I get inexpensive ammo to shoot through these? I am not a handloader yet, so I need to buy. Can I get any in 308Win? I looked at an M1 with a conversion so it could take M14 mags. Do you know anything about these units? Thanks again for the help.

Steve

An M-1 can be converted to .308 and surplus ammo can be cheap. One souces is www.ammoman.com

For information on conversions of M-1 (like converting it to take M-14 mags) go to www.fulton-armory.com and look under the M-1 FAQ. It is not a recommended procedure according to Clint McKee, gunsmith and owner of Fulton Armory (this guy builds some of the nicest M1's in the country). If you want to get into M1 Garands, check out that site throughly and www.jouster.com has a great talk forum on M1's and other US military rifles. Oops, another source for M1's and accessories is www.m1garandrifle.com

John

The last M1 Garand I got from the CMP in September was a service grade less wood, cost was $325 to my door. Took less than 4 weeks. It's a late production Harrison & Richardson, H&R bolt & trigger group, original H&R barrel, all H&R parts or recognized subcontractor, near perfect finish, throat erosion measures "zero", tight muzzle.... very, very, sweet. Dropped it into a new commercial walnut stock, it looks new. Accurate & 100% reliable, with open sights will eat the 9 ring out of a High Power target. Street value maybe $650 - $750, but I'll never sell it. Not all the CMP rifles are this nice but I'm very happy with this one. -- Kernel

I'm a hundred percent sure that a M1 is already chambered for .308 winchester. or 7.62X51 NATO.

How can you convert it to .308 when it's already a .308.

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"

[This message has been edited by Jimmie (edited November 21, 1999).]

All issue M1's were manufactured in .30 caliber (.30-06). Some were converted by the Navy to 7.62mm. A lot have been converted to various calibers (mostly .308) by civilian gunsmiths.Perhaps you are thinking of the M1A, which is a commercial version of the M14.

[This message has been edited by EOD Guy (edited November 22, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by EOD Guy (edited November 22, 1999).]

About cheap ammo for the Garand....

Well CMP sells that too!

------------------
One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm, and three or more become a congress. - attributed to John Adams

Stop by my site: http://www.memorableplaces.com

OOPS! Man, dang, I guess I'm not perfect, man I was thinking of the M1A.

Sorry :o

------------------
The new guy.

"I'm totin, this pistol because my dang SKS won't fit in my holster"

[This message has been edited by Jimmie (edited November 24, 1999).]

Back