M1 Garand - What Are MUST Have Accessories

JT

Inactive
Well...... should I or shouldnt I... :-)

I have almost talked myself into getting a surplus M1 from odcmp. In fact my father is about to retire and he will probably get one as well.

I am not looking for anything more than a historical WWII rifle that I can have a little shooting-range fun with. That is to say I am hoping for a good working-soldier's gun and not a spotless mantle trophy.

I'd like to ask 2 questions.

First how good are the M1's currently coming out of odcmp? I have seen different things at different times as far as complaints and praise about the quality. Some have said the weapons were not even worth the 400 and others have said they were VERY pleased. This seems to cycle from time to time.

Second, What in your opinion are the 'must have' items to go along with an M1. I plan on getting an orig cleaning kit, a takedown tool, perhaps a cartridge belt, and certainly any manuals that might be available. What else might be worth considering both for conversation pieces (ie: bayonet?) and for actual use? (ie: extra clips)

I am interested also in a GOOD book on the history of this weapon and something that wil tell me all I would want to know and more about maint. Reccommendations for these items too would be appreciated.

Thanks!
JT

------------------
One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm, and three or more become a congress.

Stop by my site: http://www.memorableplaces.com

Greetings Harley - you bet I would.
I tried your URL but was presented with a proxy server error. Will try again later tonight or tomorrow.

Are these resources online?

I am at the 'just starting to learn' stage for this rifle and am not afraid to admit it... basically anything will be of help.

I'll feel a lot better when (if :-( ) they start selling 1911's.. Those I wouldnt be asking silly questions like these about. :-)

Thanks!

JT

The Fulton Armory has quite a bit on the assembly/disassembly of the M1 Garand along with links to other M1 sites. See Fulton at www.fulton-armory.com

I forgot to mention that I have purchased two M1s from the CMP and both are well worth what I paid. The M1 is what finally convinced me I needed to start reloading.

[This message has been edited by mbott (edited October 14, 1999).]

JT
These services are on line on TFL @
Harley Nolden's Institute of Firearms Research. Try the url again. I tried it and it worked fine. The M-1 Slides are on the way.

HJN

Good books on the Garand?

The classic you should have is Julian Hatcher's Book of the Garand which will give you the developmental history of the M1. You'll learn about the early guns of John Garand (a Canadian), the competition for a semi-automatic rifle, the teething problems of his first production weapons, Melvin Johnson's challenge over its adoption. Good reading. Must have.

If you want collector type stuff, Scott Duff's book on the Garands are good. Don't overlook Bruce Canfield's book on the Garand and the Carbine (1 volume). Duffs's book is aimed at the collector and has tables which, unless you plan to build a collection, aren't usable. If you had to select one over the other, go with Canfield.

If you're into technical reading about servicing these things and want to go beyond the normal GI Operator's Manual, get Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on the M1. It's the best there is, bar none.

If you're on a budget (I mean $5 or less), the NRA publication on the Garand is a good overview and will show you one glass bedding/accurizing technique.

Oh, the must must have are clips. Lotsa them. You may also want to make some 5 rounders for fun/competition.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Hmm. Garand accessories...

Besides the original cleaning kit (rods, pouch, oiler - there were 2 basic types of oiler made, multi-tool thingy, etc), there are a few other must haves... (BTW, the cleaning rods for the M60 mg are the same as the ones that are in the buttstock kit for the M1)

1) Clips - can't have too many, I recommend a shoe box full

2) Bayonet & scabbard - there are at least 3 kinds - the cut down '03 bayonet, the WWII style (same size as cut down '03, but mfg. that way), and the postwar M3 fighting knife style

3) Garand belt with canteen & cover - look for a good one, watch out for repros (they tear up too easy) - looks cool if you add WWII era entrenching tool and bayonet.

4) Manuals - shop manual & basic M1 manual

If you want to have some fun, get you a grenade launcher and some dummy grenades (note: I wish I had painted my dummy grenade orange for visibility...). Then, hunt around at gun shows for .30 cal Grenade launching (GL) rounds. They look like blanks with a star crimp on the end - when you shake them, you can't hear the powder, it's packed so tight. Fire from a kneeling position with the buttstock on the ground. These things are a hoot - I lost a dummy grenade over the burm at 200 yd range!

If you decide it's tons of fun, you can add a grenade sight to the stock of your M1.

Slings! How could I forget! There are 2 basic styles - the early leather and the canvas. The leather one has double hook buckles for adjustment (I doubt that's what they're called, but I hope it's a good enough description) and the canvas one hooks into the bottom sling swivel & loops through the top with a cam-type buckle for adjustment.

[This message has been edited by Danger Dave (edited October 15, 1999).]

Must haves for the Garand,
1- Bayonet and scabard
2- Original sling
3- Cleaning kit
4- Spare clips
5- Grenade launcher assembly and sight
6- Manuals
7- and of course, lots of ammo, because you will want to shoot the rifle

I've gotten 2 Garandsand 2 Garand receivers from the CMP and am very pleased withall of them They are better than promised and are well worth the price paid. In most cases the stocks will be grungy and have several dings but will be serviceable. They can be cleaned up to look better than most being offered on the open market. You can't find a better deal than a CMP Garand.

Thanks to everyone that is answering this question. I really appreciate it, learnign lots :-) Oh and it looks like I am for-certain gonna buy one of these babies.

How long are the apps languishing nowadays?

------------------
One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm, and three or more become a congress. - attributed to John Adams

Stop by my site: http://www.memorableplaces.com

Forgot to mention. The best things to go with your M1 Garand are two other M1 Garands. That way you can stack arms and not worry about laying them down on the floor. It was boyish of me, but I couldn't resist the when I got my third Garand.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

The ODCP service grade rifles are fine. I'm very pleased with the one I got. I understand that processing takes from 30-45 days currently.

Unless you want to load up on accessories, the only additions I would buy would be a bunch of clips and an issue sling. Midway had the issue canvas slings for sale last month.

------------------
When Guns Are Outlawed, I Will Be Another One Of The Quarter Million Violators Who Are Not Prosecuted

Back