M1 Garand vs Browning BAR in .308

thequickad

I decided to buy a semi-auto .308. But state restricts so cannot buy H&K or AR-10 can only buy M1 / M1A or Browning BAR or Remington. M1A is quite expensive and M1 seems to be around $1K. Browning BAR is about $800 (all new models for comparison purpose).

Seems to me that the "service grade" M1 or M1A can only do 2.5MOA unless you pay double the $ to get "Match" or "National Match" and even that drops to only 1 to 1.5MOA.

The Browning BAR is easily an 1 to 1.5MOA out-of-the box. If I don't compete in matches. What are the benefits for going the M1 / M1A route if all I am going to do is shoot targets at the ranges?

I agree, but if your just going to shoot targets why not get a bolt that will do 1/2moa? I belive you guys can still get a remington pss in cali.

A long time ago I used to get great pleasure hitting tennis ball up against a brick wall. After a while that got boring and I started playing tennis with other people – many of which became my friends.
Shooting holes in paper is entertaining for a while but competing takes that to a whole new level.
With a Garand you get to compete in the John Garand Rifle competition – a better group of people would be hard to find.
As far as the Garand/Browning comparison – if you can learn to appreciate the historical significance, the design genius, and the beauty of this true battle rifle – the BAR will look very small in comparison.
It’s fun to spank the boy’s at the range with their “modern” hunting rifles also.

I have shot only only Browning BAR, that is the commerical semi auto rifle. That rifle was in 30-06 and I was sighting it in for a hunting buddy.

That rifle was not more accurate than a rack grade M1. And certainly less accurate than any of my match grade Garands. However you are correct that adding match barrels and bedding will almost double the cost of the rifle.

But the issue of which rifle is more accurate is an academic argument. The real question is how good of a shooter are you, how much do you practice, and do you practice unsupported without a bench?

The human element is the largest source of error in the system. And then you get better equipment and find that you are still the largest source of error, just that the groups are smaller.

Apples and oranges.
WWII work horse verses modern hunting rifle.

Modern? Not by my definition. They started making BAR's in the 60's. M1's started rolling off the lines in the 30's.

I'd rather get the M1 or a variant. Huge aftermarket compared to BAR's.
If you were just hunting with it, I'd suggest a BAR, but you only want to punch paper, so the M1 would be more fun in my book.

For the fun to shoot factor, get the M1. My dad has a BAR in .308 and I have an M1A (which is basically the same thing) and the M1A is so much more fun. Also, his BAR does not shoot ANY better than my M1A STD. I doubt they will outshoot a Garand by much.

My 2 cents.

I've only shot one or two Browning BARs and neither was good for more than about 2" at 100yds.

If you go the M1 route, leave it in 30-06. Heck of a lot cheaper to feed. Get a USGI rifle.

If you are at all a collector, get the M1 Garand now, before they dry up. You may not be driving tacks with it, but it's not going to lose its value and it is a blast to shoot.

What are the benefits for going the M1 / M1A route if all I am going to do is shoot targets at the ranges?

You'll own a piece of history. If that does not matter, I'd go with the Browning BAR in .308.....Your buying NEW I presume, and it will be more accurate.

Have you ever fired either one of them? If not, that would be a great way to start. The old try the shoe on before you buy it thing.

Thanks for all the replies. I own bolt action .308 rifles this will be my first semi 308. I have shot friend's at the range from M1 to M1A to HK 91 to Browning BAR to Remington 7400 (never shot an AR10). Funny thing is that they are all quite reliable with factory loads. Both the 7400 and the BAR had Leupold 3x9x50 scopes on them and they were quite accurate (for a semi), I believe the 7400 is about 3MOA and the BAR is less than 1.5 (for some reason the last shot from the BAR magazine always seems to throw a flyer?)

I think I am going to stick with 308 instead of 30-06 since all my other bolt guns are 308 so I can economize on bulk ammo.

Will probably get a M1A Loaded with a stainless barrel to start after reading all the replies.

you want to ecominize-then beat CMP mil.ammo surplus prices.you can shoot their ammo for a quarter a pop.sounds pretty econimical to me.check out CMP,hard to beat their prices and wares.and a garand is just fun to shoot.

For 3 or 4 hundred bucks at the gun show you can get a winchester model 100 in .308. I had one once, but it lost its charm. I think it was a good rifle though, once the bugs were out of it.

The Browning is a hunting rifle designed to last the "average hunter" a lifetime.

The average hunter will shoot 20 rounds a year.

The Garand is a USGI battle rifle that is designed to fire thousands of rounds and take a lot of abuse and still function.

The Browning is a hunting rifle designed to last the "average hunter" a lifetime.

The average hunter will shoot 20 rounds a year.

The Garand is a USGI battle rifle that is designed to fire thousands of rounds and take a lot of abuse and still function.

+1

I like your choice in the M1A loaded, but I also agree with the others; get a M1 Garand before they dry up. (I need to do the same.)

Back