M1 Garand variant?

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Does anyone know of a successful alteration of a M1 Garand to accept box magazines? I had heard that this was never successful and then I heard it had been achieved.

The most successful conversion of the M1 Garand to a box magazine was done by Beretta. The BM-59 was a magazine fed .308 caliber rifle used by Italy.

About 15 years ago, Springfield Armory imported them and conversion kits to adapt existing Garands to the BM-59 configuration.

Similiarly, John Garand modified the M1 to take the BAR mag too. He did this after examining some field expedient models which came home from the front. The only trouble was the desire to make the gun full auto. The BAR magazine did not feed reliably (bolt was too fast) and Garand suggested either modifying the BAR magazine (thereby making the two guns incompatible) or lengthening the receiver. He choose the latter.

Remington also studied the project and modified the recoil spring guide such that it impeded the rearward travel of the op-rod, thereby allow the existing BAR magazine to be used.

Getting back to the 308 caliber box mag fed Garand, not too long ago somebody was converting them to take the M14 mag. Use to see the ads in the Shotgun News. Sorry but I don't have the name or #. As for myself, I'd like to have one which accepts a BAR (30-06) magazine (in semi auto only of course - can't control a Garand if full anyway).

Spartacus,

Welcome aboard the waiting wagon. A BAR magazine on a M1 Garand is my idea of WWII perfection of a combat rifle. Who could ask for anything more?

Gary

can attest

I can attest 100% to the strength of John Garand's M1 receiver. At the range, 3-4-04, my 2nd round endured a case head failure, removing not quite gently the bottom of the bolt and breech face, detonating the 3rd round in enbloc clip, and blowing equally to port and starboard the stock completely
off the rifle. Further study showed the floorplate bent down at about a 15 degree angle. Arm sustained no injury having been tucked back to the rear of stock prior to this incident. I thought I had checked out of the hotel this time for good, fortunately ear and eye protection lived up to the mission.

Have heard of other Garands failing in different ways, mostly ammo problems..:eek: I suspect it was the 1940's case my dad had reloaded years before... be careful out there!!

Didn't John Garand Initially design the M1 with a 20 or 30 round detachable mag and the military turned this down because they thought it would cause the soldiers to waste ammo?? Hence the rifle went production with the en bloc setup??

Back