M1 Garand Question

chink

I got my first M1 Garand yesterday. I ignored all the warning about don't get one from SOG and this is what I got:
IMG_4933.jpg

The other side
IMG_4934.jpg

My question is does anyone know why the number '5' was painted on the stock?

you can't post a pic of an m1 rifle, without including the "m2 ball inverted in muzzle to show muzzle wear" picture.....it's in the rules...pretty sure it's in the owners manual that came with the rifle as well.

In the military it is common practice for the armorers to mark the grips/stock of weapons to facilitate issue during alerts. Inventory by serial number is still conducted weekly but during a rush issue rack numbers work great for a quick reference. Look at the rack number with corresponding weapons and you'll see quickly who still has their weapon out.

No one can go home till all weapons are in and accounted for.

That M1 actually looks much like color photographs of rifles in use during WWII

I ain't never used an M2 ball round in my muzzle, for a photo or anything else. You folks are putting the bullets in bass ackwards, and in the wrong end to boot ;)

The number is probably a rack number in some obscure country where SOG got its Garands. Or some inspectors number, or anything. Foreign mark probably.

The number painted on the stock is not a problem. I was just wondering about it. Unfortunately I have not had the time to go out and shoot the rifle yet so I cannot speak to anything other than its physical appearance.

I like it, it looks battle-hardened. I wouldn't change a thing once you get the paint off the stock.

GregM

I bought two from SOG and one had paint on the stock. Steel wool took it right off. I took them to a smith to double check the head space is okay.

DSC02335.jpg

Last edited:
old warriors

Congrats on your new rifle. I would, at the minimum, get a field gauge and check the head space, or have it done.

If you want to improve the wood, I took the GI wood on my shooter Garands, and scrubbed the snot out of them w/ simple detergent (clothes), a 5 gal bucket, and a stiff brush. The grease and oil streamed off them.

I then steamed the bad dents, using an iron and covering the dents with a soaked cotton cloth. Some of course, will just not raise. But that's OK, 'cause the stock retains its character. I then sanded and steel wooled the wood down, and refinished w/ many coats of handrubbed linseed oil. using steel wool after each coat had dried. I then did one coat of true oil, to add some waterproof qualities.

Big improvement, yet the stocks maintain character and their GI appearance.

The two I got from SOG were great, all mechanical checked out fine by a gunsmith. They are shooters to be sure, not at all collector grade BUT they are genuine M1 Garads with enough seasoning to make them a proud spot in my Mil-Surp collection.

I left the rack number on the gun, just part of its history. If only these rifles could talk and tell their story.

Except for needing a very good detailed cleaning, they were shooters from day one. Bores were good, minor speckled dark spots, no pitts. The wood needed deep cleaning from grime, metal parts also needed a deep cleaning from grime and age baked on grease and stuff. A simple complete tear down and a naptha bath and scrub cured most ills. The stock required a naptha cleaning and then a 3 coat linspeed military finish.

For $429 each plus S&H, I cannot imagine a better deal on the market today.

Be sure that you get headspace checked and have it checked by somone who actually knows how.
I know of two different people who bought SOG Grands and they both had excessive headspace
SOG is selling unsafe Garands, they dont check headspace or check for function or if parts are in spec
"Looks " dont mean anything when it comes to a safe rifle and how it will function
Good luck with your new rifle

1st M1 Garand........

I'm shopping for my first, I saw an International Harvester at the local shop yesterday for @ $730. The bore was too dirty to get an idea of what it really looks like but I might just go ahead and pick it up any way.

Any thoughts or advice out there?

Look over the receiver very closely for signs of it being a reweld first and foremost. Secondly, ask the shop if you can run a patch down the bore, and thirdly, beg borrow or steal a muzzle gauge. IHC's are a breed all to themselves, and for the price you quoted, i'd be hard pressed to not bring it home if the bore was decent and it wasn't a reweld. If you need more help, just ask.

GregM

For $429 each plus S&H, I cannot imagine a better deal on the market today.

I can: $495 plus shipping for a field grade SA from CMP that has been thoroughly checked out, cleaned and whose proceeds support youth firearms safety and marksmanship.

I don't mean to start a fight - it's just my opinion, based on what I've seen of the Garands from SOG that the CMP Garands are more than $70 better.

Back