M1 Garand potential purchase help

The Scientist

I have an opportunity to look at a 1944 model M1 Garand.

The current owner sounds like a decent fellow, been collecting for 35 years. His ad in the local paper says, "1944 M1 Garand, Springfield Armory. Cal .30-06, headspaced & test fired by gunsmith only. CMP reparkerized receiver."

I'm an avid fan of WW II (who isn't!), but this would be the first gun of any serious nature that I would be looking at for purchase.

What questions should I ask? The gentleman says it is an average Field-Grade gun. What range is a Field Grade '44 fair value purchase price?

I'm going to look at it after church on Sunday.

Thanks for your help.

Check out cmp (civilian marksmanship program) they sell field grade garands for @ $630 if I remember. Service grades are $730 including shipping and they are a grade up from field grade. The descriptions are on their website. Basically the condition of the stock and metal (pitting). I would ask the serial number, throat erosion number (TE) and muzzle wear (mw) number. Low numbers are good, starting from O. Anything 3 and below should be fine. I'd start there. Get some pics.

As a benchmark, CMP is selling Field Grade for $630, Service Grade for $100 more. Ordinary M1 rifles sell around here for $800-1000, depending on condition.

If possible, ask to test fire the gun at a range where you can get a group size.

Jim

Here is a decent starting point.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

From a collector's approach there are too many facets of the equation to list here, and I know that there are more 'die hard' Garand collectors that can get into the nitty gritty with you about what a specific rifle would be valued at.

A decent, working man's rifle in good shape normally floats between $700-$1200 depending on certain features etc. For example, rebuilt rifles go for less (indicated by a letter P, with a circle around it on the stock behind the trigger guard where your fingers would rest) than an all original rifle. I have seen all original Winchester Garands go for $3,000 and upwards! :eek:

Also, I would familiarize yourself with some of the markings to look for such as who made the barrel, action rod etc so that you can verify that all the parts are USGI. Here's another link to get you in the right direction.

http://www.trfindley.com/pgsnstmpsm1.html

As far as what questions to ask, I can't really say, because it depends on what your wanting from the rifle. A collectors item, an everyday shooter, a wall hanger?

Last edited:
Well, the original gun in question was sold before I could look at it. However, I did look at another. And, yes, it has been pieced together with parts from several different rifles. Import marks and stock is Danish beechwood. I wasn't enamored with it, although the muzzle wear score was 1-1.5. (Not sure of the throat score).

I'm curious of maybe just ordered a CMP service grade rifle. I'm happy to join an affiliated club (Garand Collectors), but I understand there is more to it than that? I will need to be in 1-2 sanctioned shooting events?

No disrespect intended, but I just want to purchase a rifle. Help on what hoops I need to jump through from others?

Thank you.

I used my C&R license as proof of other firearms related activity, and joined the Garand Collectors Association to meet the club requirement. I believe the CMP does a pretty good job of spelling out what they require on their website. I couldn't find any local clubs so I emailed them and they recommended the Garand Collectors Association.

I would go the CMP route unless you can find a great deal locally. I ordered in early January and the Garand showed up early February even though the website said it would be a 2-4 month wait. The Garand I received is in great condition with a new stock. I would have preferred an original stock and probably should have asked for one. I have heard stories of people including notes with their order form and the CMP does a good job of following through with the requests.

Back